Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The wild flapping of the wyvern's wings generated such a strong gust of winds that the men hanging on the cliffs were blown away like fallen leaves. Riftan pressed himself against a protruding rock, hanging tightly and swallowing words of profanity. With the men falling, two magic tools have also been blasted away by the wind.

He clasped the remaining one in one hand and assessed the situation. Whenever the wyvern writhed, the net stretched tightly like it was about to break, and the rock wall shook as if it could collapse any moment.

Riftan waited for the tremors to subside, and then he went a little further down, and stuck the magic tool into the rock. The installed magical tools sensed the monster's mana, stretching out to dozens of white chains in response.

Riftan swore and drew out a dagger just in case he got caught by the monster. As the wyvern was about to break away from the restraints, a shell flew in from a catapult with a loud noise. The heavy ironclad rock hit the monster, causing it to collapse and thump against the rock wall.

"Fuck...!"

He rushed to avoid the falling rocks but it wasn't easy to act quickly with the strong tremors, so he thought of jumping off the cliff and rely on the wizard to catch him with magic, but he doubted the foolish man's sanity.

By now, they must be running away for their lives, screaming to be spared.

He had already realized long ago that the only thing he could trust in the world was his own two hands, so Riftan started climbing the rock wall while the wyvern was unconscious. When he finally reached the top, he jumped over the rocks and looked down.

The momentum of the soldiers was looking plausible as they relentlessly fired 7 catapults and log-sized spears with giant crossbows. The wyvern was helpless against their constant attacks and went to hide himself in the valley, but that wasn't a good sign.

Riftan peeked inside the dark valley through the cracks. The wyvern crouched, waiting for the attacks to subside then shot out of the valley like an arrow. The remaining chains made by the magic tools broke as it flew high and spread its wings. It would have been fortunate for them if the monster flew away and escaped, but as the wyvern soared through the clouds, he glided down at a terrifying pace towards the soldiers.

In an instant, everything went into chaos. The soldiers poured arrows towards the monster, but the wyvern's thick skin deflected them. Two of their catapults were smashed with the blow of the wyvern's wings and the soldiers scattered as the monster moved unpredictably.

Riftan laughed out loud. What in the hell am I supposed to do with those shambles?

The wizards were a complete sham and the army was pathetically useless. On top of that, he already did more than what he was paid for.

... The pay just doesn't match the job, it doesn't pay fair at all.

Riftan stroked his chin with his gloved hand. Another wyvern loitered out of the valley as he was thinking of his next actions.

As if to make it even worse... he sighed.

Suddenly, a huge fire rose from below. Riftan squinted his eyes.

"That wizard is still down there?" He looked carefully below. The wizard was out of sight, perhaps discreetly hiding himself while using magic.

It looks like I thought too narrow of him... Riftan looked down at the huge golden flame, gauging his skill.

A fierce flame burned with such a force to turn the wyvern's body into ashes and a hazy whirlwind vigorously surrounded the monster. However, the wyvern's skin had great counter-magic capabilities and the flames simply scattered as the monster cried loudly and widely spread its wings.