Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"Finally! I can eat and drink as much as I want for the coming months."

Hebaron steered his horse behind Riftan's and muttered in anticipation, while he took a deep breath as they entered the castle. It was his first time returning to the castle grounds after nearly 10 years. Every time he passed by a familiar scene, old memories sprang up in his head. He gazed at the neatly lined shrubs and bright blooming flowers along the castle's orderly pathway. As they passed through its beautiful and vast garden, the Duke of Croix's castle emerged.

"I've only heard famous stories about the Duke's castle. Truly, it's incredible."

Even Uslin, who came from one of the most prestigious noble families in Whedon, exclaimed in admiration as he trailed his eyes over the splendid fortress. They climbed down from their horses and handed the reins to the servants and orderly went up the marble stairs leading to the entrance. As they entered through the arched doors that were at least 20 kvets (about 6 meters) high, a golden hall alit with thousands of candles appeared before their eyes.

Riftan lifted his head, his eyes wandering the surroundings. Everything in that hall seemed to be the epitome of all the luxury people could imagine. A gigantic chandelier bejeweled with white crystals sparkled and hung from the arched ceiling, hundreds of glass windows surrounded the hall, and golden armors lined the plaster white walls. He was skimming them through with a half-exhausted expression when a haughty voice echoed.

"I heard the news of your victory. You have been through a lot of hardships." The Duke of Croix slowly sashayed down the stairs, accompanied by his guards. "The Royal Knights arrived early last night and are currently resting. I shall grant all of you a room too so you can rest comfortably."

"Thank you for your hospitality."

Triden marched forward and greeted politely. The Duke of Croix looked at him as if to acknowledge the man's sincerities and nodded at his servants.

"Bring the guests to their rooms."

As soon as the man released his orders, dozens of servants rushed down the stairs and the knights followed them. As they crossed the great hall, a group of ladies were glancing at them from the second-floor balcony, giggling among themselves.

Are they the wives of the knights who came to attend the banquet? Riftan questioned inwardly and frowned at the way they were looking at them like a spectacle. At that moment, a woman standing at the end of the hallway caught his attention.

Riftan stopped in his tracks. He couldn't see her face clearly as she hid in the dark shadows, but he was able to recognize her hair that was the color of a deep red wine. He swallowed dryly, his throat suddenly tightening. As he unconsciously moved towards her, the woman's expression turned into bewilderment and hid behind a pillar.

"Sir Calypse? What's the matter?"

Gabel Laxion looked at him curiously as he stiffly stood with a puzzled expression on his face. Riftan barely came to his senses and turned around.

"...It's nothing."

It could or could not be her, either way it shouldn't matter to him. Riftan took a step forward, groaning at himself, who still clung to memories of 10 years before. However, as he went to the room to rest, he couldn't keep his agitation and his nerves down.

He ruffled his hair angrily and pushed the windows wide open. The sun was setting in the dusk, the landscape that panned out in front of him was the vast backyard where he used to pull carts full of horse dung or firewood. At that moment, it occurred to him how his life had changed so dramatically. Back when he ran away from that place, it never passed his mind that he would someday be returning there as a knight.