Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The wizard quickly grabbed the gold coins and put them in his robe like he had been doused with cold water over his head and chased after Riftan.

"W-wait!"

Riftan looked at him dryly, as if to question with his eyes what the matter was. The wizard looked side to side, and hurriedly spoke.

"Y-you haven't received treatment yet. Sit for a moment. I will heal you with my magic."

Riftan didn't have a single thought about trusting his body to the unreliable fellow. He was about to decline his offer, but then he looked at the people around him. Mercenaries swarmed the area and he had just received a handsome amount of gold coins, those who were eyeing his earnings might plan to execute an ambush.

He shifted his eyes to the other side. Although the Lord of Nebron seemed to be distracted with the wyvern's corpses, there was a possibility that he would change his mind and try to steal back the money he paid. Riftan was suffering only from light bruises but still, it would be better if his body would be in perfect condition, so he nodded lightly in agreement.

"Fine. Please do."

"Sit here please."

The wizard sighed in relief and pointed at a large rock. Riftan shoved the pouch of gold coins in his bag and slumped over it. The wizard immediately healed him with magic for his body to recover. Riftan scratched his neck as he felt a lukewarm heat flowing into his body. He had been treated with healing magic before, but the sensation of a foreign energy penetrating in his bones always felt unpleasant to him. He moved around with his body that felt noticeably lighter and slowly stood from his seat.

"Thank you."

He muttered an obligated word of appreciation and was about to turn to leave, but a hand too thin for a man, gripped the hem of his trousers. Riftan raised an eyebrow irritably.

"What now?"

"W-where are you going?"

"And why would I tell you that..." Riftan tried to shake him off coldly as he was annoyed by his pestering and sighed. "Where else? I must go and take the monsters apart. I have to help dismantle them and finish the rest of the work."

He pointed his chin at the mercenaries assembling equipment to dismantle the monsters, and the wizard released his hold, his eyes blinking as he realized that the expedition had not been completed yet. Indeed, the wizard appeared to be lacking to Riftan's eyes.

He clicked his tongue lightly and went to assist in dismantling the wyverns, but then noticed that the foolish wizard was trailing his footsteps. His patience was reaching its bottom. Riftan gave him a threatening look.

"Why are you following me?"

"W-well t-that's...." The fidgeting man raised his head and shamelessly spoke. "It's because I am an assistant wizard! I received my share of payment, so I shall help you 'til the end."

"I don't need you anymore, you can go back to your group."

Riftan spoke without hesitation and stepped towards the wagon, but the wizard held onto him urgently.

"If I go back now, they will try and take the gold coins from me!"

Riftan had a grim expression on his face. He thought the man was clueless, surprisingly, he seemed to have a good inkling of the situation. Like a chick following its mother hen, the wizard clung to his side, casting a dubious look to anyone.

He looked just like Riftan when he first joined the mercenary corps, the wizard appeared to have a hard life too. However, that didn't mean that Riftan was obligated to protect this raw human being. He coldly snorted.