Chapter 32

Chapter 32

However, as if to ridicule such pathetic behavior, she quietly left the banquet hall with her maids. Feeling like his enthusiasm had been spoiled, Riftan placed down his half-empty glass. The thought of going after her crossed his mind for a moment, but it would have been too obvious, as he would have lost the challenge that he was involved in. He had tried to apologize several times for what happened but each time, he repeatedly failed at it.

Riftan's lips twisted at the side as he recalled Maximillian who was always busy running away from him the moment he tried to approach her. Now the girl would probably think of him not only as a nosy man, but also a drunkard and a reveler.

Great. Riftan muttered sarcastically and chugged down the rest of his drink. Who knows, maybe it's for the better.

There was no chance that he would get to stand by her side anyway, and even if that could be the case, Maximillian would probably terribly despise him. At that point, he would be able to get rid of his foolish feelings as well. He filled his glass again. The finest wines seemed to taste disgustingly bitter.

At the next day's break of dawn, Riftan and the other knights left for Drakium Palace. The Duke's vassals were staying at the Croix Castle for several weeks while the Royal Knights needed to stand guard until Dristan's delegates leave. The Remdragon Knight's mission was only to provide military support and they had fulfilled that, so there was no reason to stay in Croix any longer.

They travelled endlessly across vast plains, occasionally passing through well-stocked markets and villages in between the sprouting light green paddy fields. Moving a little north, they encountered a huge ranch where thousands of cattle and sheep grazed. Riftan clicked his tongue upon realizing how wealthy the Duke was. The rumors spreading that the eastern Lord may be wealthier than the King was no exaggeration.

After riding their horses across the lands for four full days, they finally reached the northern wall that bordered the Duke's territory. Beyond the magnificent walls that stood nearly a hundred kvet (30 meters), was the rugged Callic Mountains, marking the end of the gentle plains. The royal capital appeared before their eyes after crossing around three or four hills.

"How long are you planning to stay in the capital?"

Uslin Rikaido drove his horse near and asked as they marched through the castle gates and saw the streets full of spectating people. Riftan glanced at him and replied bluntly.

"I'll rest for a few days here and leave at once. Anatol has been left empty for too long."

A hint of dissatisfaction clouded Uslin's face. "How about staying at the palace for a month instead? A number of nobles will be visiting the capital for the coming spring. I will introduce them to you so that..."

"There's no need for that. I have no intention of wasting my time on meaningless matters."

Riftan cut him off, retorting coldly. Hebaron chuckled, watching the scene unfold between the two.

"It seems like the young master of the Rikaido household has been rejected again."

Uslin glared at him ferociously and swung the reins like a whip, driving his horse at a nervous speed. The servants rushed to assist them as they arrived at the Drakium Palace. After Riftan asked the stable keepers to take good care of their horses that had suffered from the long journey, he headed straight to the throne room.

After a few moments, they kneeled down on one knee, facing the King in a magnificent room donned with a red carpet. Sitting on the throne was King Ruben III, who read through the reports written by Triden with a bored glint in his eyes and then handed it to the servant waiting next to him.