Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A chilling silence fell. Riftan glared threateningly with his eyes then picked up his sword which was lying on the ground. Ruth, who is observing what's happening, cried out in plea.

"I-it's just a magic designed from the principle of trolls' regenerating abilities! It doesn't have any side effects on the human body! Except for the excruciating pain during the healing process, there's no other side effect."

Regardless of Ruth's excuse and his desperate words, Riftan thrusted his sword, which was stained with monster's blood, near the edge of the wizard's neck.

"You motherfucker, who the fuck are you?"

"I-I am just an ordinary wizard..."

"How in the hell does an ordinary wizard know about this taboo magic?"

The wizard sweated profusely, like a lit candle. Riftan relentlessly pushed him against the cave's walls, continuing his interrogation.

"What the hell are you doing in the World Tower? Experimenting with monsters and creating magic...If the church discovered such atrocity, they wouldn't sit still. Do you people intend to be banished?"

"...it won't end with us being banished. Once the church discovers the existence of this taboo magic, the worst case that could happen is for them to begin persecuting wizards again."

The wizard groaned, admitting reluctantly.

"That's the reason why we strictly keep it a secret. Only a few wizards know of its existence. The selected few, filtered through a meticulous process, are learning taboo magic for the sole purpose of research."

"...Are you saying that you're one of those few wizards?"

Riftan eyed him suspiciously, raising his eyebrow. The wizard frowned at him angrily, speaking curtly.

"Yes, and you're very fortunate. If it wasn't for me, Sir Calypse would be a dead man. You sustained such fatal injuries that ordinary healing magic wouldn't be enough to heal you. To save you, I broke the rules of the World Tower and used taboo magic!"

Riftan snorted at him.

"So, what, are you expecting me to be grateful and say thank you?"

"Yeah, you should be grateful! A simple thank you is a hundred times better than being threatened with a blade against my throat!"

The wizard felt so exasperated that he spoke like he was at loss for words.

"What was I supposed to do? Look the other way even though I have the power to save your life? When people discover that I used taboo magic, the World Tower will cut my head off before the heretics can hunt and interrogate. And yet, you're threatening me like this!"

Riftan shot him a piercing glare, wary of the wizard's intentions, but slowly lowered his sword. Although he yearned to take the suspicious man to the church's jury, it's inevitable that he would also be a subject of investigation. Being a person of mixed race, the blood of southern pagans evident on his skin, the church would surely not treat him well, especially if he came to them saying his body was regenerated by magic unknown to them. Riftan clenched his teeth and let out a resigned sigh.

"I'll let this go just this time. If you dare use that taboo magic on me one more time, I won't even bring you to be judged by the church. I will finish you with my own hands."

"Even if you beg for me to do it, I won't! Next time, I won't even hesitate and let you die!"

"I hope you do."