Chapter 39

Chapter 39

The next day, the Duke of Croix unnervingly prepared for the wedding ceremony before the dawn even broke. He seemed to be eagerly determined to execute the ceremony straight away, not giving him a chance to change his mind.

Riftan anxiously paced the room like a trapped beast. He felt guilt eating him for putting a heavy burden on his subordinates in order to save his stepfather. He would have felt better if the knights had criticized him instead for his selfish choices. However, although the knights were extremely furious at the Duke of Croix, they did not have a single complaint about Riftan's decision.

He plopped down against a chair and clasped his throbbing head between his hands. If he would be following his duty as the commander of the Knights, it would only be right for him to turn a blind eye towards his stepfather. However, he just couldn't bear to do that. He couldn't bring himself to abandon him once again.

He shut his eyes tightly. On the day of his mother's funeral, the figure of his stepfather weeping in the dark played in his memory. The man wasted twelve years sheltering them. It would be devastating for his illegitimate son to get him killed when he has barely gotten himself a real family now.

"The wedding ceremony will be held in the afternoon."

The butler appeared at noon, accompanied with servants who brought robes to dress in and accessories to put on. Riftan gazed down with a contorted expression at the silk and velvet clothing, making the servants flinch and step back at his harsh demeanor. However, the butler endured and did not even budge.

"The High Priest will preside over the ceremony, the easter nobles will serve as witnesses. We should hurry with the preparations to meet the schedule."

He eyed him arrogantly, as if pertaining that he shouldn't dare make the nobles and the high priest wait. Riftan took the clothes in an angry snatch, he wanted to tear someone into pieces, but not this old man. He replied in a cold manner, gnashing his teeth.

"I can do it on my own, so get lost."

The butler looked at him skeptically and meekly took the servants outside with him. Riftan took off his clothes and dressed up with the sickening clothing handed to him. He felt rage burn inside him as he saw himself donned unsuitably like a pretentious nobleman. He turned away from the mirror, suppressing the urge he felt to rip off the hem of the clothing.

A moment later came another knock on the door. He strapped his sword to his waist and went outside. The knights of Croix Castle lined the hallways, donned in full steel armor.

"We have come to escort you to the altar."

Riftan clenched his jaw, it was as if they were taking a prisoner. Regardless, the Duke's knights escorted him to the temple located in the castle. He followed them whilst hurling all sorts of curses inside his mind.

May the Duke of Croix and everyone associated with him be cursed; his vassals, his servants, all of them.

However, the moment his eyes caught the figure of Maximillian Croix standing in front of the altar, all of his thoughts melted away. He stood stiffly at the temple's entrance, gazing distantly at her back.

She was donned in a white dress that was as pale as her complexion. His eyes trailed along her ivory neck, her narrow back, and her slender waist that seemed to fit in one grasp.
Her skirt, that glistened silver flowed like a cloud over the marble floors and ornament pearls, shone in her elegantly twirled up rose-colored hair. His heart squeezed at her breathtakingly lovely appearance.

Riftan breathed out deeply. His mind was in a mixed state of confusion, longing, and guilt. He couldn't comprehend how he could feel this way when he was in such a humiliating situation.