Chapter 26

Chapter 26

From the following day, Riftan didn't even dare to go near the banquet hall. Seeing him wield his sword in the training grounds from dawn to sundown, the commander sighed in resignation.

"Yeah, I've been thinking that you're strangely well-behaved these past few weeks. Are you feeling a bit bored already?"

"We're leaving for Drakium any time soon. I have to repolish my arm movements."

Ritan muttered bluntly and swished his sword down from the air. Triden, who was watching him with his arms folded, came down from the stairs and drew the sword out from the scabbard tied to his waist.

"Good. I'm also itching to duel. It has been a long time, shall we?"

Riftan glanced at him, sighing as he set his bastard sword down. He had been practicing non-stop for five hours now and was drenched in sweat. He wiped the sweat away from his forehead and picked up the cloak he had taken off earlier.

"Please don't. I have no intention of spraining your arm further."

"Aigoo, I guess the vice-commander is afraid to be humiliated."

The vice commander looked at the balcony overlooking the training grounds and shook his head. Riftan followed his gaze, frowning as he saw noble women sitting near the windows. During the day when there were no banquets, it seemed like their routine was to watch the knights duel, take leisurely strolls, or enjoy tea parties. It was unusual for Riftan though, who had never been idle his entire life.

"Serving the ladies is the true duty of the knights. I'll grant these beautiful ladies an entertaining duel."

"...you're speaking silly again."

Riftan, who was shaking his head at the man's absurdity, suddenly stiffened. Maximillian Croix, who was sitting by the fifth-floor window, caught his eyes. Even though she was a distance away, he could certainly sense her curious gaze. Suddenly, his throat felt dry.

"... Fine. Let's pass time and hang for a while."

"I really fancy your arrogance." Triden took off his coat and wore a light armor, adjusting his stance and giving him a calm smile. "It's worth taking a shot."

Riftan scoffed and raised his sword again. Triden whirled his sword on one hand and ran towards him at a blinding speed. Soon, the sound of their blades clashing reverberated the air.

Ting! Ting!

Riftan blocked his ferocious attacks in the air, suppressing the urge to see and make sure that Maximillian was still watching him. He could duel all day long if it would engrave a strong impression in her petite head.

It was becoming gradually annoying for Triden to fret on his own when his opponent wasn't really putting a single care.

"Where's your focus?"

Sensing that Riftan's attention was somewhere else, Triden delivered a heavy blow. Riftan's body was on edge as it picked up the incoming menacing attack. He narrowly blocked his attack and swung his sword rather forcefully to counterattack. Suddenly, Triden's lips hardened to a thin line, and his reflexes became noticeably dull. Riftan came to realization and quickly stepped back.

"Damn it, I didn't mean to strain your arm."

Triden looked at him with displeasure as Riftan hurried to place his sword down and gazed worriedly at his forearm.

"Who said it's over? I can still go on with the duel."

"Will you let this stupid duel keep your arm from recovering?"