Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Upon hearing about the situation, all the knights were eager to come and accompany him. After firmly restraining the knights who were all furiously riled up, he left for Croix with Uslin, Elliot, Ruth, and three other squires.

Anger and anxiety raged within him as he rode fast on his horse over the frozen lands. Riftan spurred and rode relentlessly until all the horses were exhausted and reached a creek for them to take a rest.

"Speaking of which... How did the Duke of Croix find the stepfather of Sir Calypse?"

Elliot asked in a careful tone as he lowered the saddle from the back of his horse. Riftan took out his flask of water and moistened his lips, then answered in a heavily somber tone.

"He must have investigated my past."

The Duke of Croix had a wide source of informants, that stretched not only in the eastern regions but also in the west. If he dug up information from people who dealt with peasant families, he would find out about his past without any difficulty. Moreover, it was widely known that he was once a member of the Black Horn Mercenaries and there was a good chance that he started his probing from them.

It's not challenging to find the family of a mixed-raced child who had once ran away from the Duke's territory. Riftan gritted his teeth at the Duke's vicious schemes and regretted his complacency.

"Don't you think someone who was simply after the gold coins framed him?"

"If that's the case, there should be no reason for him to bring that noisy little boy into our barracks and leave him there."

Uslin rebutted bluntly as he sat on one side and filled his stomach with jerky. Elliot quietly bit his mouth shut. They filled their stomachs in heavy silence and then began to travel again on horseback. They went on for five days until they reached the Duke's estate, barely having enough rest for their horses.

Riftan went over to his stepfather's house first. As he entered the dilapidated door, broken pieces of claypots, housewares, an overturned brazier, and a black blanket tangled on the floor in a corner caught his eyes one after the other. Riftan looked around the cold shack and gave orders to the knights accompanying him.

"Go down the village and find out where the other people who lived here went. My stepfather's wife must be carrying a little girl with her."

"Yes, Sir."

Riftan watched as the squires ran towards the village and then led the rest of his men up the hill. The gatekeepers of Croix Castle opened the gates as if they were expecting his arrival. He walked through the gates and looked around sharply. There were knights donned in metal armor guarding the walls, and even more guards were standing on the sides of the wide road leading towards the great hall. It was clearly meant to be a threat.

"What matter brings the lord here?"

The butler came forward to greet them when they reached the front of the main castle. Riftan dismounted from his horse and spat out his words coldly.

"I want to meet with the Duke."

"It will be difficult to do that if you come here without informing us beforehand."

At the butler's blunt reply, Uslin became furious and strode forward. Riftan held out his arm to restrain him and repeated his request.

"Tell the Duke that I'm requesting his audience."

The butler straightened his posture and looked at them arrogantly then slowly turned away. "Wait here for a moment."

Then, he slipped into the hall, leaving them to stand idly at the entrance. Uslin's face became violently distorted by the blatant disrespect displayed towards them.