Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"Thank you. I wish to visit and send my present in person if I can, but I can't leave the territory unprotected given the sudden increase of monsters attacking." The knight stood up from his seat with an eased smile, as if satisfied with achieving a favor. "Well then, please visit my castle before you leave."

As Bayern went outside with his men, Riftan climbed up the second floor to avoid the curious gazes of the mercenaries. Elliot Caron quickly chased and questioned after him.

"Why did you accept to do a favor for such a rude knight?"

"It just happened to turn out like that. It's a great opportunity to investigate whether the Duke has noticed something."

"But... you might get subjected to unnecessary interrogations."

"I can afford to handle that."

Riftan responded curtly at his subordinate, whose eyes were filled with anxiety, and entered his room.

***

When the rest of the party arrived, Riftan stopped by the Bayern Castle as he promised and took with him twenty-one fox furs and seven rolls of silk, then headed to Croix Castle. Pulling the wagon took two more days than usual, but it enabled him to enter the Duke's manor without much suspicion. Riftan merely pointed to the wagon branded with the Bayern crest whenever the guards expressed doubts about his sudden visit.

"I was visiting the southeastern region and happened to accept a favor of delivering the engagement presents for the Duke's daughter."

After the guards checked the wagon, the gates were opened at once. Riftan led his knights into the magnificent gates, resolutely entering the Croix Castle. The pale winter sunlight shone brightly against the white castle with a silver light.

"Please come this way."

Soldiers carrying long spears escorted them from both sides as they were led to the castle. After a while, the butler came out of the castle and checked the presents they brought in the wagon.

"These are all valuable items. The Duke will be delighted."

"These presents were from his vassal knight. I was merely asked to deliver them." Riftan bluntly declared with a nod and mounted off his horse.

The butler pretended not to hear his words and continued calmly. "The long journey must have been tiring, I shall guide you to your rooms so you could rest."

The servants came rushing after the butler's orders. Riftan unconsciously shifted his eyes around as he followed the servants. Then, he realized who he was trying to find and smiled bitterly to himself.

Where the hell is your mind wandering to in this kind of situation? Despite ridiculing himself as such, he couldn't stop searching for her.

"Please let me know if you need anything."

As soon as Riftan entered the spacious room with its fireplace already lit, he removed his armor piece by piece. Soon, the servants brought him a tub filled with hot water for a bath. After he drove all the servants out, who were reluctant to leave their duty of taking care of his bath, he washed his hair and body with soap, cleaning off all the swear and dust off his body. Then, he took out the cleanest tunic he packed and wore it. Just then, a knock resounded on the door.

"Excuse me, Sir Calypse. The duke of Croix summons you. Will you spare a moment of your time?"

"I am in the midst of changing my clothing. Hold on for a while."

Riftan put on his trousers and hung his sword around his waist, then pulled the door open. The butler gave him a stern look, as if scrutinizing whether his appearance was decent enough to appear before the Duke, then began to lead the way.