Chapter 16

Chapter 16

An awkward silence filled the cramped space. Riftan's ears burned red like he had just stripped himself off in front of the wizard. He kicked the ground and spat his words out bluntly.

"Never mind. Forget it."

"N-no, I mean, sure! I'll cast it for you for as long as you want. It's not even a complicated magic." The wizard hurriedly exclaimed. There was a sudden hint of brightness in his voice. "Certainly, it is difficult to relax comfortably inside a cramped cave like this. Please lie down here. I will cast for you a wonderful illusion."

It annoyed him how Ruth switched to a tone used for soothing children, but he was too tired and longed to rest so much that he quickly overcame his irritation. Riftan meekly lied down on the ground, small rocks and pebbles pestered the flesh on his back while he tasted the peculiar musty smell of the cave in his throat with every breath he took. Despite the unpleasant environment, he was so exhausted that he couldn't afford to even mind it.

He propped his head against his bag and covered his body with his robe. Ruth bent over to his side and placed his palm on top of the corner of his eyes.

"Paint in your head the happiest scene from your memories."

After a while, a white light flashed from the wizard's pale fingertips, and Riftan's surroundings gradually faded.

A gentle breeze coated with the scent of flowers made his hair flutter. Soon, a scenery of a sunny summer day unfolded before his eyes. The green leaves of the trees gleamed like emeralds as rays of sunlight escaped between them. As he walked through the scenery, a garden with full bloomed flowers emerged.

Riftan felt a strange feeling of relief but an aching emotion of longing crawled inside every inch of his bones as his eyes fell to the girl sitting under the tree's shade. She was embracing her black hound tightly, burying her arms and face against his luscious fur. A corner in his heart tightened painfully as he watched the tender sight. He also once longed to be held just like her. He yearned to be embraced safely in warm, soft arms.

'...this is just an illusion.' Riftan murmured to himself. It was just an illusion created by magic, but the enchanting sigh captured his heart and refused to let it go.

When he gazed at her back then, he forgot all his sufferings. He still felt the same now. However, as the peaceful scene faded away like mist, he returned to a harsh reality. Riftan sighed as he realized he was back to the cold, dark cave that didn't let a single ray of light in.

"Are you already awake?"

The wizard, who was crouching next to him, appeared drowsy as he yawned widely while asking him. Riftan silently sat up.

In the end, everything he saw was just an illusion. Nothing but a mere moment of temporary comfort. He brushed off the empty feelings in his heart and urged the wizard to continue working on getting them out of the cave. When they finally reached the cave mouth, the light of dawn pierced his eyes. Riftan supported the exhausted wizard as they climbed down the mountain. They reunited with the expedition team and reported the accident that occurred last night, prompting a search party to immediately rescue those who were still trapped in the cave.

They spent half a day digging through piles of dirt. There were eight people who miraculously survived. The rest of them unfortunately did not live to see the day. No one made a ruckus about it as it was common to have such accidents in their line of work. Riftan helped carry the wounded to the barracks and retrieve corpses for the priests to bless. Only after all that he was finally able to have a proper rest.

Proceeding that event, their expedition continued for around two more weeks. When their contract ended, the Black Horn Mercenaries traveled straight to the north. Their work required them to constantly wander around countries, pursuing conflicts and monsters. When they ran out of quests in Livadon, they did not hesitate to move on to Balto where they began earnestly doing their work.