The Root of The Problem

Scar's Perspective-

Over the next couple weeks, I've been trying to get closer to Grian both as Scar and as Hot Guy.

But it seems after I get close, he shuts me out and isolates himself.

It's started to become annoying, and I feel lost whenever he ignores me.

-

"I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong." I said, sighing.

Joel nodded, "Yeah, sounds tough."

"I've been letting him do most of the talking, we've baked together, we always walk together, we do all sorts of stuff! Heck, even Jimmy's on his good side, yet he still doesn't let me in." I sighed and hid my face in my hands.

"Don't beat yourself up too much. I'm sure it's just something with Grian."

"It just...it's bothering me. He seems to think I'm annoying whenever I'm Scar or Hot Guy. It doesn't matter who I am, he still hates me."

"Hey, hates a strong word. I'm sure he's just having trouble adjusting." Joel said, putting a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder.

"How? He's been here for almost three months now! I would've at least thought he would be okay with Hot Guy by now..."

"Well maybe he has some problem with his home life. Maybe he's got something going on with his dad."

"I don't know..." I sighed.

"How often does he talk about himself?"

I thought before lifting my head in realization.

"I don't think he ever has..."

"Maybe there's something there he doesn't wanna bring up." Joel said before putting both of his hands behind his head and leaning back in his chair, "You said he only lives with his dad, right?"

I nod.

Joel shrugged, "Maybe his parents are divorced, and he doesn't wanna talk about it."

I hummed, "Maybe..."

"Hey guys, what're you talking about?" Adam asked, walking over to our lunch table.

I jumped and chuckled quietly, "Oh, hey Adam. Nothing really."

"Well, I have good news." Adam said proudly.

"Yeah? What's going on?" Joel asked.

"Sarah's dad finally warmed up to me."

Joel laughed, "Took him long enough. You guys have been dating for a bit now, right?"

"Yeah. And I mean, he's still not really fond of me, but he's okay with me holding her hand."

I chuckled, "You just can't kiss her when you're at her home, hm?"

Adam sighed, "Don't get me started on that guy. I swear he scares the crap out of me. He's so warm around people but the second I show up he starts glaring."

"It's probably because you're kissing his child." Joel chuckled.

Adam shrugs, "She's cute, alright?"

Joel and Adam keep chatting and I glance over at Grian.

Adam leaves to get school lunch and Joel elbows me.

"Might as well talk to him about it later." He said, referring to our earlier conversation about Grian.

I sighed, "Alright, I guess I will. I mean, it's just annoying me on how he shuts me out."

"Yeah, just go ahead and bring it up."

I nod and Joel gives me a reassuring smile.

Later (switch to third person)-

Scar jogged over to Grian so they could walk home together.

They walked in silence for a bit before Scar took a deep breath and turned to Grian.

"Hey Grian...there's something I need to ask you."

Grian raised an eyebrow, "What's up?"

"Why...why do you keep closing up? Every once and a while, whenever I get close, you just shut up and isolate yourself. I...it's really annoying me, and I want to make sure everything's okay."

Grian's eyes widen, and he looks caught.

"Is it something going on at your home? You never talk about it. Are your parents divorced and that's why you moved?" Scar asked.

Grian looked down and Scar reached his hand out to him.

"I'm just trying to help." Scar said gently and Grian shook his head.

Scar sighed, "Why won't you let me help?"

"I'm fine."

"Clearly not."

"Why do you even care anyway? Because your mommy told you to help me? Just because it's your 'morals' to protect people? No one cares." Grian snaps and Scar's eye twitched.

Scar huffed, "Fine! Go off and be alone. Don't accept help from people, see how well that goes. Not everyone is out to get you, Grian. Why can't you see that I'm genuinely trying to help you?"

"Because you're not!" Grian shouts.

"Is that really how low you think of me? You think I would actually mean to hurt you?" Scar argues and Grian starts to cry.

Scar's eyes widen as he's suddenly brought back to reality.

He sees Grian crying, and his hands shake.

"I- I'm sorry." He whispers.