TWENTY

Time is a curious thing. Sometimes it passes slowly; so much so that it doesn't seem to move forward. Like those last-hour classes when the clock seemed to be going backward. Other times, however, time flies and slips through your fingers like trying to grasp the finest sand. And sometimes, time simply stops for a few moments. Not even the sound of water, nor the distant rumble of the road, nor the birds; nothing. Not even the sound of the stones under their feet because they had become completely still.

Freen's arms surrounded Becky's body, who had been completely caught off guard, pressing her against her, resting her chin on the girl's shoulder, who took a little while to react to the embrace; she honestly didn't expect Freen to initiate any kind of physical contact, and that certainty combined with the huge desire she had for her to do so caused a dissonance in her mind that left her stunned.

When she finally reacted, she pulled her arms away from her body and placed them on Freen's back, resting her cheek on her shoulder, breathing in the scent of the long brown hair that moved slightly with the river breeze. Freen felt how Becky's hands pressed lightly against her back, and she tightened her hug even more, turning her head a little to hide her face in Becky's hair.

She had no idea what she was doing, and this behavior was by far the most unexpected and spontaneous thing she had done in years. Something inside her pushed her, and not only that, it was now preventing her completely from breaking that contact with Becky that her body seemed to have desired since the first day those brown eyes collided with hers.

Freen breathed deeply, absorbing her scent, and the girl felt all the hair on her body stand up with Freen's breath so close to her neck.

-Promise me you won't look over any bridge- Freen said suddenly. That caught Becky as much by surprise as the hug did.

-But Freen, what...-

-Just promise me- she whispered.

The girl paused before answering. That request couldn't be a coincidence, but at that moment, she could promise Freen that she would bring down the moon, completely convinced that she could do it.

-Okay. I promise- she said finally. She paused again, this time longer, without moving a muscle for fear of breaking that contact. -Freen- the girl emitted a sound inviting her to continue. -Could you promise me something too?- She felt her nod. -Promise me you won't disappear.-

Although it seemed impossible that they could be any closer, Freen tightened the hug even more, and Becky sighed; it was slipping out of her control.

-I won't disappear,- she whispered near her ear. -I promise.-

**