TWENTY - SIX

-Irin, don't pour me any more wine, for heaven's sake- said Heng, covering his glass with his hand. -Having a hangover is not part of my dream plans for driving tomorrow for three hours.-

-No worries, Freen can drive- Irin replied, still holding the bottle up.

-Well, I've had four beers while you two finished the wine, I'm not sure what state I'll be in tomorrow- Freen said. Her cheeks were a bit red, she had rolled up the sleeves of her shirt to her elbows, and she was sitting on the carpet with her back against another sofa in the living room. Becky couldn't stop looking at her; she was hypnotized by her long hair falling over her shoulders, still perfect from air drying, and by her sweatpants that had one leg pulled up higher than the other to try to stay cooler. Becky, on the other hand, knew perfectly well that she could be naked in the middle of the forest and still wouldn't feel less overheated than she did at that moment. She had drunk three glasses of wine, and she wasn't used to drinking. Her hair was still somewhat wet, but it wasn't cooling her down either, and her eyes fixed on Freen's neck every time she laughed and tilted her head back to rest it on the sofa didn't help at all. She could swear that if water were to fall on her skin right now, it would evaporate.

-three cabins to the left and walk about three minutes along the path- Irin suddenly said in her ear, taking advantage of Freen's absence from the living room. -Trust me.- She got up and returned to her seat just as Freen came out of the bathroom and walked back to the carpet while she ran her hand through her hair. Becky didn't know how she didn't faint at that gesture.

-Well, girls, I think I'm going to bed- Heng said. -It's always a pleasure to spend time with wonderful people, but I can't keep my eyes open, so rather than not being able to see your beautiful faces, I'd better go.-

-Thanks, Heng, you're romantic,- Irin said. -But before that, help me take things to the kitchen, come on.- She got up and pulled her friend while carrying several glasses and plates.

-Are you having a good time?- Freen suddenly asked.

Yes, actually, I am,- Becky smiled. -It's been quite fun. Although I shouldn't have drunk so much wine,- she put her hands on her face while laughing. -I don't know how I'm going to sleep, everything's spinning.-

-I'm a bit the same. It's been a long time since I had four beers, and look at me. Not how I used to be- she laughed.

-Were you the life of the party?-

-Something like that- she looked Becky in the eyes and smiled directly at her for the first time. Becky's stomach jumped.

-Freen- Irin said, entering the room with a puppy-dog face, -I need you to do me a favor.-

-What's up,- the girl said, tilting her head with mockery.

-Accompany me to the car; I left my phone charger, and I'm afraid to go alone,- Irin seemed to be pouting. Freen laughed again.

-How can you be afraid when this town is like the least dangerous place on earth?- she teased.

Please?- Irin pleaded.

-Fine- she sighed. -Let me get my shoes, one moment.-

Freen disappeared from the living room just long enough for Irin to look at Becky significantly and nod toward Freen's room. Becky's eyes widened. Irin nodded again and pointed in the same direction before Freen returned.

-I... I'm going to bed too,- Becky said. She could see Freen's eyes dim a little with disappointment. -Try not to get eaten by any bears.-

-We'll try- Irin said, grabbing Freen by the arm. -Goodnight, Becky,- she said, winking at her without Freen seeing.

Becky waited for them to leave before rushing to her room, grabbing what she had bought in town, crossing the living room in two strides to Freen's room, and leaving it on her bed. With her heart pounding in her ears, she returned to her bedroom and closed the door. She stood behind the wood, waiting for the girls to return. She still didn't know how the heck Irin had figured out her plan, but she appreciated the help at a point in the night when she had already considered it a failure.

She had been glued to the door for several minutes waiting. She heard Irin and Freen re-enter, pick up some things from the living room, and say goodnight. Becky saw the light seeping under her door go out, and her heart raced again when she heard Freen's door close. And now what?

**