zara pov

"You can't make this deal" Said my assistant as I walked towards my office from the meeting room.
"I know what I can and cannot do, lia" I say sternly not wanting for her to say more. I know my decisions and I speak from experience. Nothing more, nothing less.
"We can suffer a huge loss" She said. Her voice is a little frustrated.
"Just because they are struggling does not mean they are incapable lia. Get that. It's a deal but more than that it's a help. And they need it." I said sitting down on my desk sipping my coffee.
I did business on my own terms.
I think with heart. Yes. But I am not naive.
People think I am. That's their loss.
I don't know how they think a naive girl can start a company from scratch and make it successful.
"Mam, it's not your responsibility. Also, this field isn't about heart. You have to play with brain." I look at her with a look that clearly said that I don't want you speaking about this to me further.
"I know. And I still choose to use my heart. And I don't care." She sighs hearing my final words.
She turns to walk out of the office only to turn back halfway and say with a small smile.
"You're too good for this world. People like you are often used for other's use. I hope your fate is different." She turns to leave and I'm left staring at the closed door of my office. I tilt my head thinking of what's going on. I sigh and go back to working.

After one hour

I was done working on a few documents as I take a break when a knock on the door startles me.
"Come in" I say sitting on my chair.
The lia walks inside with flowers.
I think it's from leo so I get up and walk over to her and take the flowers in my hands.
"It's from Leo right?" I ask her as I smell the fragrance of the flowers.
Red roses.
I've always loved them.
But she shakes her head.
"They are from someone unknown."
I frown at her but as the realization hit me I still. I don't want lia to see me loose my mind so I just-
"You can go now" She frowns but then complies to me and walks out.
As soon as she gets out of my office the throw them on the ground. As the flowers hit the ground I see a note fall out of them.
With shaky hands I take it in my hands and then open it to read it.

Heard you got yourself a fiancee?
Want me to show him who you really belong to?

It didn't say who it was from but it still made me shiver. I throw the note on the ground as well as my breathing went frantic. I just can't help but feel vulnerable.
He was out of my life three years ago. And yet he has always been there. He's always made his presence known to me. He's never let me forget him.
And he continues to send me such notes.
One said
"Everytime you try to forget who I am, I'll be right there to remind you again, you know me"
I felt sick to my stomach that day.
Why can't he just leave me alone?
Why?
What have I ever done to him?
I take in deep breaths to calm myself down. Try not to have a panic attack as I keep on repeating deep breaths to myself.
After a few minutes I finally calm down. But by that time I'm on my knees sitting in the middle of my office on the floor. Trying to breathe.
Money can't take away pain.
Money can't give you happiness.
Money can't-
Maybe the wrong people get the wrong things....
Or maybe... Just maybe I'm not meant to be happy.
If it were false... I'd be happy.
But my this theory is crushed by leo. I can't say if he's here to take my sadness away or....
I don't want to end that sentence.
I'm doing this for father.
But somewhere deep down I am trying to do this for myself too.
If not for him.
For. Myself.
Maybe I do need someone.
Who'll understand me.
Or not.
I don't know.
But deep down.. Leo feels like I've known him.
His eyes look like I've seen them before.
He looks known.
For some reason I can't tell.
It's impossible that we've ever met.
Yet all I can think about is
How he feels familiar and how even though I met him for the first time I was comfortable around him.
That's a rare occurrence in my life.
Finding comfort around people.
So maybe that's why I am drawn to him.
Or maybe that's just how he is. Good with people.
Either way it's good to have him by my side. Atleast he will be a good husband.
All my life I've wanted true happiness.
To be truly happy for myself.
Yet whenever I decided to be my own happiness something happened that took the hard earned smile away. And I was left with nothing but... Lonliness and a useless sadness.
I don't understand why I feel the need to be understood.
I've always wanted to be carefree. Unhinged. So that I wouldn't care. But no matter how hard I try. I can't help but care. Care for others.
I like that I'm this way.
But being a caring person hasn't gotten me anything in return. And
As much as I would love to say that I am not some selfish person who does good in order to get it back... I still crave love and care. Even if is half of what I gave to the world..
Just half. And I'll be happy. Just... Half.
I'm lost in my own thoughts. Which were broken by the ring of a phone.
I get up and reach out to grab my phone from the table only to see my father calling me.
I pick it up
"Hello?" I speak.
"Darling, I have something important to inform you"
"What is it dad?" I ask.
"You are getting married in three weeks."
My world stops.