Chapter IX: Embers in the Dust

Chapter IX: Embers In The Dust

Every now and then the stars alignBoy and girl meet by the great designCould it be that you and me are the lucky ones?

Yet again Axel was alone in his mission that day. Despite his laid back behavior, he was good at his job, perhaps one of the most qualified workers within the Organization. This didn't change the fact that going it alone wasn't exactly pleasant – Nobodies were still social creatures after all. It was boring without someone to interact with... and in truth, he wished Xirena would have been his partner on these types of days instead of it just being him – especially when one considered the other partner options. From his finished mission he returned to the castle in a pillar of darkness, emerging in the Gray Area.

He saw Xigbar, Vexen and Luxord playing poker at one of the coffee tables, but no-one else seemed to be lounging around in the common area. However, another was present, but he was far from the lounging type: Saix. He stood at the threshold of the residential hall with his cruel eyes set on the red head. Axel's already dulled expression fell further because he knew what was coming, he knew there was no way he could bypass the berserker without having to speak with him about some dry, uninteresting work-related topic.

Saix would constantly inspire complex feelings within Axel. It wasn't easy dealing with him and their work behind the scenes, it certainly wasn't easy seeing how much his friend from years ago had changed, and it wasn't easy watching him grow more and more distant... Part of him still longed for the simple days when they were kids, but the other part of him desired to move on from those bittersweet memories. Their interactions were always so strained these days, focusing always on work and nothing else. Since Saix became so close with Xemnas, Axel certainly felt like he was tossed to the side in favor of a higher power – only to be called upon for the wet work. Moving on though? That was far simple too. At least, it was previously. Now?

Xirena. That silly girl.

Axel had grown fond of her and found himself always looking forward to seeing her; to be with her was so different than anyone else he'd ever met. She captivated him, so much so that when they were together he seemed to forget all his worries... well, except the ones Zee inspired in him. She was another complex one, paradoxically so, but still a complexity.

Axel perked up at the thought of the purple haired girl, and immediately began to wonder where exactly she was. It had become almost instinctual at that point to go seek her out when she wasn't around. It could be that he just liked hanging out with her, maybe he had concerns that she'd get harassed by Xigbar or Rex; maybe she was looking for him too? He could see she was attached, and everyone else probably could too – he just hoped he didn't come off to others as being obsessed with her. Although, did it really matter what the others thought? And then there was the ultimate "concerning" reason for his searching for her...

Perhaps... there was more than just a friendship evolving between them. This was an idea Axel never cared to think about, and would discard anything close to that before it could fully formulate. They were friends. Just friends. It was way too awkward too consider anything more.

"What are you smiling about?"

Axel got so wrapped up in his thoughts that he didn't realize he kept on walking while wondering about Zee like a dopey dog, taking him towards and past Saix. That dull yet at the same time harsh tone only managed to slow him down than bring him to a full stop though.

"Pft. I'm not smiling!" Axel dismissed with a casual wave of his hand as he was known to do.

Saix followed Axel with his gaze, unsure what to make of the ginger blowing past him with so little acknowledgment. Ultimately, he had nothing important to say to Axel, and made no effort to stop him during his leisure time. As he strolled down the hall towards his room, he glanced at Xirena's door – which was directly across from his own.