Chapter XIV: Holding Onto Heaven

A/N: Shout out to BabySealLover for choosing the AMV! The next one will be Counting Stars by One Republic, which is an Axel-POV song. Progress has been SLOW since I have to re-learn where all the most viable clips for AMV making are in all the cutscenes... Remember, if you have facebook, please like my fanpage (link in my profile here) because I post more frequent updates, like how far along I am in chapters or other works, plus the art too! It'll make waiting for new chapters a little less of a drag!

Chapter XIV: Holding Onto Heaven

Starless sky,
We've got so good at pretending
There's a side, a side to you, that isn't running
And I don't know where it is that you've been hiding
But I need you tonight

The dark faded from her eyes as she awoke, and Xirena was instantly smiling. The memory of last night remained fresher in her head than a freshly picked apple, and it was a night she wouldn't soon forget. In fact, she swore she'd never forget it. Learning about love, as complex a a subject as it is, was such a great experience for her. Even better than learning about the emotion, though, was the action: The kiss. Xirena was certain she could still feel the spot on her cheek where she got her (technical) first kiss, swearing to herself that it still tingled and filled her with an ecstasy previously unknown to her. A tiny giggled rumbled in her, the movement of her abdomen jarring Sunny out of her own slumber – something the pig wasn't pleased with but accepted it regardless... it was about time to get up anyway and get ready for work.

Sunny felt Xirena begin to sit up, and thus hopped off her stomach and sat beside her. Zee stretched her arms above her head to limber up, that stupid grin not leaving her face.

"Last night was so fun, Sunny!" Xirena said whimsically. Sunny let out a grunt to convey an un-enthused 'yeah, right, sure' before Xirena continued, "I wonder what we'll do tonight?"

Xirena mused aloud as she stood from her bed, continuing to stretch. As a dancer, Xirena knew the importance of stretching after all. Stretching is good for everyone really, not just dancers, but damned if anyone else in the Organization would begin their day with a warm up stretch.

"Ok Sunny, hop in!" Xirena spoke, picking up Sunny and allowing her to jump over her shoulder and into her hood.

-----

The Gray Area was as sparsely populated as ever, but there was no Axel to be seen. Rex, however, was there, but he was hardly a prize compared to Axel. Rex looked over to the violet headed girl who was looking around in confusion, knowing very well what she was checking for.

"He's already gone, hon." Rex called out to her.

"Oh. Ok..." Xirena responded distantly, but she pepped right back up, "Well, I'll get to see him later I'm sure!"

"What am I, chopped liver?" Rex asked with venom as Xirena approached him.

"I dunno ...are you?" She wondered with sincerity. Rex let out an exasperated 'ugh' and fell silent, "Um, do you know where he went today?"

"Not a clue, hon." The disinterested Rex replied, not caring enough to look at her, "I mean, he was gone before I even got out here so..."

"Oh ok."

"He's on an extended mission."

Xirena and Rex both jumped when they heard a voice behind them. Looking over their shoulders, they saw it was none other than Saix.

"Extended mission...?" Xirena asked with a tilted head.

"Yes." Saix responded flatly, "He won't be back tonight. In fact, I don't know when he'll be back."