Chapter XVIII: The Future Is Cold

A/N: Hi there! Back again with an update. Don't have much to say in the way of author's notes this chapter so let's just get on with the show and enjoy!

Chapter XVIII: The Future Is Cold

I'm exhausted with loving
No fight in me- I'm defeated
I know I'm fooled, I can't help it
You make my heart so helpless

Over time the group, mainly lead by Demyx, tried to concoct ways to somehow get their band idea going. Axel would always remind him that no matter what, Saix would sniff it out. They were lucky enough that he hadn't figured out that Sunny was still in the Castle, so why push their luck even further? The coming and going of time was especially rough on Xirena, as Saix would send Axel away on Castle Oblivion missions as frequently as he could. It was true Axel was the only man for the job, but Saix took great pleasure in separating Axel and Zee. Still, just about any time Axel saw Saix he made it a point to bring up his disdain for Xirena, but Saix was onto him and Axel didn't have a clue.

Now, though, Axel was home – much to the relief of Xirena. He had been as such for a few days now and it seemed as if all was returning to normal since he was being sent out on normal missions again – but still, Saix did all he could to keep the dynamic duo separated. Saix couldn't do a thing about controlling their free time though! The main thing Zee did in her time while Axel was away was dance. Hours could melt away and she'd still dance til her feet couldn't carry her anymore. If she had a heart she would dance it right out.

Let your body talk!

Slick beats and heavy synths quieted in The Void of Reverie where the pair of Axel and Xirena were. Xirena was in the center of the room, breathing heavily and standing stiff in her finishing pose that concluded her dance number. Axel, sitting a safe distance away, grinned and gave her the applause she rightfully deserved.

"What song was that again?" He inquired as his clapping ceased.

"Body Talk," Xirena promptly answered, her body relaxing into a normal posture, "By a girl named Foxes, I think."

"Well, it was a great one as usual." Axel assured her, "All those spinning things where you raise one foot to your other knee look tough."

"You mean pirouettes?" Xirena asked him with a giggle.

"Yeah, if you say so! You know more about this dancing business than I do." Axel answered with a smile.

The air was sweet, but something weighed heavily on Axel that he kept avoiding. He encouraged Zee to keep dancing and dancing just so he could put off talking about it, but for how much longer could he put it off? Not much, surely. He hummed softly, his head dropping along with his smile. Xirena tilted her head, having picked up on the fact that something wasn't quite right with Axel then and there.

"I got some bad news, Zee." He began, staring at the floor.

"Huh?" Xirena peeped, "What do you mean?"

Axel threw his head back up, now staring at the high ceiling as opposed to the glossy hard wood floor he was just gazing at – anywhere to avoid looking at Xirena as he spoke. He blew out a puff of air before he continued.

"Look, I know I only just got back home not that long ago but..." He began somberly.

Xirena immediately became distressed by his tone of voice and fell to the floor, crawling over close to him. She kept peering him about the face, trying to gain his eye contact, but to no avail. Axel continued...

"Saix is sending me out on another extended mission to Castle Oblivion tomorrow." He said, just getting it over with.

Xirena sat back looking devastated. Axel lowered his gaze to a proper level and cracked his neck loudly. He watched as Xirena shook her head back and forth slowly and sadly, as if she were just told of someone's sudden and unexpected death. Heartbroken was the best word one could use to describe Xirena at that moment.