Chapter 25: What I Like Are Interesting People

Her heart raced.

Faster than before and increasingly intense.

"The... the hero killer... really?"

Her head spun with the quickening blood flow, her body trembling and gradually stiffening.

"I-if it goes any further, I-I might really die..."

No, perhaps it was already too late.

His cold gaze, looking down at her with a spear in hand, showed no mercy towards her.

This realization dashed her soaring self-esteem, filling the void with fear...

"G-gasp...!"

Her breath, which should have been quickening, suddenly choked at that moment.

A feeling of suffocation pierced her chest like a stake, causing Yi Ga-ram's body to convulse with acute pain.

In a corner of her left chest, an organ that should never stop halted, and everything that should flow stopped.

"Ah, ack!"

At the moment when all the muscles in her body stopped at once, even her airway didn't move properly, stopping her breath.

Even though she tried to breathe forcefully, her efforts were only enough to cover her tongue with foam created by her saliva.

"My... my heart... my heart has stopped..."

A sudden shock in a brief moment.

Unable to withstand it, Yi Ga-ram collapsed with her eyes rolled back, and the crowd, sensing the situation belatedly, began to approach her one by one.

"What's up with that hero?"

"No way. Is it a curse? Did that guy cast a curse?"

"Damn it! Call a priest quickly!"

The new hero, just like the other heroes, fell into a miserable state.

But the man who overpowered the girl, unlike the confused adventurers, remained unbothered, just turning away.

Holding the spear aimed at the hero's head.

"...This way."

He grabbed the minstrel's hand, once a sacrificial offering, and pulled her towards the exit.

"Ah, there..."

"Do you want to stay here?"

He turned to the bewildered minstrel, looking at her silently with narrow eyes.

The minstrel, watching him, soon bowed her head and quietly followed.

And...

"To reduce a hero to this state without blinking."

"Was the rumor true?"

The crowd's whispers continued as he left.

The notoriety of the Hero Killer spread beyond the adventurers' guild to the entire empire, but that was a story for later.

'...Huh.'

After leaving the guild, I wandered the streets holding the minstrel's hand, still feeling uneasy and looking for a place away from prying eyes.

I was almost running.

Even for someone like me, who had seen everything in this world, the earlier event was enough to make my heart race.

Damn it, showing up in front of a hero, just relying on my infamous reputation.

If my life hadn't been at stake, it would have been madness, wouldn't it?