Chapter 112: A Traitor To Humanity

Blight Cradle.

For Marcus, it was a name he could never forget.

He was his own brother, frail but intelligent, whose talent was recognized by the royal family, enough to be appointed as a dedicated scholar.

He admired his intelligent brother.

At one time, he even considered his brother, who influenced the entire country with his intelligence, a savior.

But why...

"Why did you appear before me in such a state?"

What had happened to his homeland in his absence?

What end had he met in his plague-ravaged homeland, to be resurrected by the lingering attachments of life and appear before him as a betrayer of humanity?

"...To end up like this, you speak too harshly."

A voice leaked from the beheaded neck, unable to bear such resentment.

What leaked from the grotesque head, no longer retaining a human form, was that of his brother, unforgettable even half a century later.

"Marcus, although our paths have diverged, I still vividly remember that you are my brother..."

"Shut your mouth, you are nothing but a monster that has taken over my brother's corpse. Do not further dishonor my brother's death!!"

It was a given.

The undead were merely 'copies' built on the most intense lingering attachments among the memories left in a corpse.

Even records written by human hands could be distorted, so what difference would it make for his brother, resurrected by the hands of the calamity known as the Corpse Lord?

"...Well, this was supposed to be a touching reunion after a long time. But I suppose it's too much to expect understanding from a beloved brother who is still among the living."

Then tentacles sprouting from the neck began to merge with his fallen body.

It was a grotesque act that no ordinary person could conceive.

Horrified that it was done through his brother's corpse, Marcus quickly raised his sword and threatened him.

"Don't move!!"

"Whoa, calm down, little brother. This is just a clone, not the main body. If you get so scared, your lifespan will shorten even more, you know?"

Provoked by his words, the sword pointed at him trembled slightly.

A clone? Wasn't he here to eliminate the commander overseeing this place?

If not to kill, then why send a clone?

"Why...?"

Despite having risen to the position of commander of the army responsible for humanity's future, could even that seem insignificant to an existence elevated to the level of a calamity like this person?

"What happened in our country that you changed into such a being? The you of the past..."

"I was weak, faint-hearted, and knew nothing but books. At the same time, like you, I was a loyal retainer who knew only our lord."

Even as a clone, its essence was that of his brother.

From such a foundation, trying to understand the current situation, Blight quietly responded to his brother with a bitter voice.

"The reason I walked a different path from you is simply because I realized one fact."

"Realized... what...?"