Next Opponent..?

I was waiting by the doors with Honcho and Ken. Valt's late again...

The two guys were making small talk while I allowed my thoughts to wander a bit. I was still on edge after that run in with the valg. Rowan said not to worry too much but I couldn't help it, Aelin's letter didn't bring any better news. Tension was apparently high amongst the witches and the Yellowlegs, leading to disharmony and small skirmishes within The Wastes.

You're being observed... Eclipse notified me and I nodded my head slightly. I've already sensed the bey spirit given its shadowy aura.

I yawned, making sure to act normal. After another few minutes, Valt burst through the doors panting heavily.

"Late again mister." I crossed my arms.

Honcho shared my sentiment as he and Keru grilled the blue haired boy on his habit of being late. I let the two do all the work as I kept glancing at my phone for the time. When is he going to decide to come out of the shadows...

I heard a rustle from behind the stairs. I looked up and as if on cue, a pale, black haired boy stepped out. He wore a red bandanna on his head and had a bunch of skull accessories on. I raised an eyebrow at his bey spirit.

Doomscizor... Eclipse greeted the grim reaper-like spirit.

Scary butterfly... Doomscizor greeted back.

I smiled a bit, glad that Eclipse had gained respect from the bey spirit. I looked over at its blader who was acting nice and pleasant towards Valt and completely ignoring Honcho and Ken. He's faking it. He's probably scouting out Valt.

I watched as Daigo praised Valt and asked for a battle. I can't stand it anymore...

"Daigo Kurogami, was it?" I asked politely and put on a smile that didn't quite reach my eyes. I knew what he was trying to do. "I'll give it to you, you're strategic."

"I'm sorry I don't quite understand. I'm sorry if I said something offensive." Daigo responded. Though he kept a smile on his face, his body tensed up the moment I started talking. "You're all welcome to join me and Valt after school if you're worried."

"Thank you, I'll take you up on the offer!" I beamed. "Would you mind if I get in a battle against you too?"

"Awesome!" Valt exclaimed excitedly. "Yes, as many battles as you want! I'll set up the stadium in the gym, so meet me there right after classes."

I smiled pleasantly and grabbed Valt's arm. "Come on or else we'll be late."

Valt quickly waved goodbye to everyone and once we were out of Daigo's sight, I stopped.

"Valt... Are you sure about this?" I asked, placing my hands on his shoulder. "Tell me you've thought this through. Honcho already told you that he's your next opponent. So please don't do anything stupid."

"It was a rough start but the day's getting better and better!" Valt exclaimed. "Of course I'll make sure I show him what's up!"

I sighed but dropped the subject since we truly had to get to class.

.

.

.

The school day went by quicker than expected.

I was sitting near the storage closet watching as Valt scrambled to set everything up.

You really want him to go ahead with this? Eclipse asked. Even after knowing exactly what he's up to?