15. Crepe flowers

"Swadee Khrab, welcome to our shop," Sailom said politely. He had been working at Aum's flower shop. He had taken days off from work and trained under Aum as an apprentice.

Aum had only taught him the basic things like the names of the flowers available and how to distinguish them as it had only been a few days since Sailom had joined the store.

He had left the Sailom in charge of the store as he went to get a cup of coffee from the cafe nearby.

Sailom was very nervous. The person standing in front of him was the first customer he was attending to, and he didn't want to leave a bad impression on him.

Jui was pleasantly surprised that Sailom was manning the store by himself, and Aum was nowhere to be seen. A wicked idea passed through his mind. He could that Sailom was really tensed which urged him to tease him a bit. 

"Swadee Khrab," He walked into the shop like a regular customer.

"How may I help you, Khrab?" Sailom asked the same way Aum would every time a customer came in.

"I would like to have a mixed flower bouquet of Orange carnations, roses and gerbera flowers Purple Lisianthus, and Irises. And oh yes, some greenery too. Thank you." Jui recited effortlessly. Having been best friends with a florist for years it was a piece of cake for him to come up with such an order.

Sailom on the other hand felt his brain go blank. Among the flowers mentioned, he could only identify roses and carnations. The rest of them... he had no idea.

"Please make it quick, Khrab" Jui paused and his eyes fell on the name tag on the brown uniform apron that Sailom was wearing, "P' Sailom."

"What do you need that for? To put on your tombstone?" Aum, who had entered the shop through the side door asked while smacking the back of his friend's head. 

"Where's my coffee?" Jui asked when he saw Aum handing a cup to Sailom.

"If you want coffee, go get it yourself," Aum answered.  "And stop teasing my employees."

Jui's smile grew mischievous as he heard the second part of the sentence.

Aum ignored the look on his friend's face and turned to Sailom, "You don't have to attend him if he ever comes here." He glanced at Jui who gave him a cheeky smile and back to Sailom. "If he wants a bouquet, he can make it himself."

With that he went into his office, leaving Jui along with Sailom.

Sailom watched Aum leave and stared at the open door, feeling happy that the latter had gotten coffee for him.

"So, Sailom, right?" Jui's voice made Sailom turn his attention to the petite one standing before him.

"Khrab,"

Jui smiled at the polite reply. "Let me introduce myself. Hi, I am Jui, Aum's best friend. It's a pleasure to meet you," He offered his hand for a handshake.

Sailom looked at the extended hand and Jui's face for a second before shaking his hand. "Likewise."

If someone else, who knew who Sailom was saw the whole scene, they would definitely think that the Sailom in front of them was an imposter.

All three Wongsrisai brothers were well known for their high and mighty attitude (Zo wasn't any better.) They wouldn't humble themselves to anyone, not in the same status as them.

One might think that it was a rude characteristic. But, as the children of the global giants like Wongsrisais, have a lot of bootlickers who would cling to them for their own benefits. Such an attitude kept such pests away.

Sailom being polite to Jui and even letting himself be ordered around by Aum was enough to show how the former was making exceptions for the latter.

"By the way, there's something I wanted to ask you," Jui said, giving off an amicable aura.

"What is it, Khrab?"

"Actually, it's nothing serious. I am just asking out of curiosity." Jui took a step closer to Sailom. "What made you change targets? I mean, from Pia to Aum. What made you do that?"

The smile on Sailom's face froze.   

"You are Pia's boss, right? Some of her colleagues told me that you have been pursuing her for a while now. What happened now? Why did you give up on Pia and start for her Phi- chaai?" Jui asked further.

Sailom felt like his worst nightmare was coming true. He never wanted anyone to know that he once pursued Aum's younger sister. He didn't know how to answer that question.

"What are you guys talking about?" Aum eyed the two men suspiciously. 

"Nothing," Jui shrugged and hooked his arm around Sailom. "We were just making acquaints."

Sailom on the other hand was stiff. He couldn't even act normal.

Aum narrowed his eyes, smelling something fishy. "If you are done, get to work. You are already an hour late."

"Ho. I am doing you a favor by coming here to help you. Can't you be nice to me?" Jui pouted.

Aum's face cringed seeing his friend act cute. He went to the shelves at the corner of the store.

"Let's continue the chat later, na" Jui leaned closer to Sailom and whispered. 

Sailom couldn't speak. He slowly nodded his head. He had to think of some excuse. Or else Jui would think that he wasn't sincere about Aum.

Jui patted his shoulders and went ahead to help Aum.

Sailom too rushed to help them when he saw them carrying huge boxes. 

Under Aum's instructions, the boxes were placed on the huge table. Jui and Aum opened the boxes and started taking things out and placing them on the table.

"What are these for?" Sailom asked to pick up one of the crepe paper rolls placed on the table.

"To make crepe paper flowers," Aum answered while emptying the boxes.

"Crepe paper flowers? What are those for?" It was Sailom's first time hearing that flowers could be made from crepe paper. 

"People use them as artificial flowers, instead of the real ones," Jui answered.

"Why would anyone use artificial ones?" Sailom frowned.

"Mostly because real ones are expensive and wouldn't last that long. Thus they opt for such artificial ones." Aum placed a few crepe rolls in front of Jui and took some for himself before getting seated. 

"Also, there are a lot of people with allergies to flowers and pollens. Just like the one who placed this order." Jui picked up a roll and started cutting it into strips. "This order is for a wedding. The bride's mom is allergic to flowers but the bride herself wants floral decorations."

Sailom nodded.

"Aum, why don't you teach him how to make these as well? A pair of hands would help finish the work faster na," Jui suggested, making Sailom look at him in surprise. He winked at the latter.

"Look here," Aum beckoned Sailom's attention. "We are making twisted crepe paper roses today." He chose a pink crepe strip. "First of all, we have to bend the edge like this and make a twist."

Jui watched Aum teaching Sailom, with a smirk.