12: We Have Hearts Too

Chan walked with hands tucked in his pockets, while Jiyoung trailed behind him, mimicking his steps with the innocence of a child. With her mask securely back in place, she followed him in small, delicate steps.

Suddenly a loud rumble noise was let out by Jiyoung's stomach causing both of them to stop on the tracks.

She couldn't help but feel a pang of embarrassment as Chan turned around to look at her.

"Are you hungry...?" he inquired, a hint of amusement in his voice as he fought back laughter.

Jiyoung, trying to maintain her composure, sniffed lightly and glanced around flicking her hair.
"N... not much." she mumbled,

Chan flashed a gentle smile. "Let's head to the convenience store near the apartment." he suggested, turning.

"Okay... If you say so..." Jiyoung replied, casually rubbing her finger under her nose trying to be cool.

Chan settled comfortably into a chair at the convenience store, staring at in front of him- Jiyoung eagerly devouring cheese teokbokki, cup fried rice, ramyeon, sausages, banana milk, and a packet of chips.

"Not much? How long have you been hungry?" Raising an eyebrow, Chan remarked, causing Jiyoung to momentarily halt her eating, spoon hovering midway to her mouth.

"I ate at 12 pm... Now it's 12 am.. so..." Jiyoung's voice trailed off as she chewed, her cheeks filled with food as she calculated the passing hours.

"Okay okay, eat. Don't think." Chan conceded with a soft sigh,

"By the way, you are really a mafia...?" Jiyoung asked swallowing down the food and then chucking down the milk,

"I am not a mafia! It was my father who was a mafia!" Chan retorted rolling his eyes,

"Yeah yeah, James Lee... What about him! Why are you keeping it a secret and like—"

"I am not exactly your friend, or acquaintance, or I like you, so why should I share?" Chan interrupted, tilting his head slightly, his tone firm.

"Please! You know everything about me, my father, my brother, my family name but I didn't complaint at all! SO WHY THE HELL ARE YOU NOT SHARING!" Jiyoung insisted, surprising Chan.

Chan sighed softly, his expression growing serious as he leaned towards the table.

"Do you know about the mafia war in 2010?" he asked, curiosity evident in his tone.

Jiyoung's gaze softened, memories washing over her mind as she spoke in a hushed voice.
"Hmm. I do. I was still in the orphanage. It was all over the news..." Her voice trailed off,

"THEY ARE COMING!" Little Jiyoung flinched as chaos erupted in the orphanage, kids and the warden scrambling in panic while she stood frozen in shock.

It was a complete mess amidst the cacophony of gunshots, ambulance sirens, and police patrols.

"Who... is.. coming?" Jiyoung mumbled, her voice trembling with fear.

"Mafias! Russian, Italian, Australian... it's all over the place!" someone responded, causing Jiyoung to clench her fists in terror.

"M... mafia?" Jiyoung stuttered, but her question was drowned out by the sound of gunfire.
A child standing in front of her fell to the ground, blood staining Jiyoung's face as she stood paralyzed with shock.

The man approached, dragging the boy's lifeless body away, he turned his gun towards Jiyoung met his gaze with a mixture of defiance and fear.