3. Anger and Jealousy

Present

When I entered the house Josh's body no longer lay just inside the door. I didn't know if that was a good thing or bad. I really hoped he was ok, I liked Josh. I wondered then if it had been Josh that told on me. Nik was supposed to be doing business with Marcel in the Bayou tonight but somehow on the one night I sneak out they show up in the bar. No way that's a coincidence. The house was very quiet as I made my way to the kitchen.

From the freezer I pulled a bottle of vodka, I had hidden it there after Elijah had 'scolded' me for excessive drinking on my part. Well screw him, he left without even saying good bye. We had become so close in the time we spent together that I had come to see him as a brother more than just as a friend... and I stupidly thought he felt the same. I unscrewed the lid and was about to take a mouthful when Rebekah came in to the room.

I turned to her with a sheepish expression. "I'm in big trouble. I may or may not have snuck out of the house. And Nik may or may not have seen me. Of course I don't even know why he was there tonight." I once again started to take a mouthful of vodka when Rebekah started speaking.

"Well what do you expect? I come home to find Josh dead and you missing..." Rebekah's voice trailed off as she realised what she was saying. I slowly turned to her, my eyes filled with accusation.

"You..." I tried and failed to hide the anger in my voice as I spoke, "You told on me. You called Nik!"

She threw her hands in the air as she rushed to defend herself. "Like I said, Josh was dead; there was no sign of you. I was worried ok? Sue me."

I desperately tried to see it from her side, she was worried about me. But I kept seeing the expression on Nik's face when he saw me in that bar, talking to Marcel. To think that he might not have been there, might not have ever known about my little 'tour'.

When my hand started to form into a fist and I felt the glass between my fingers I remembered the alcohol. I quickly raised the bottle to my mouth and took a large gulp. Before I removed the bottle from my lips I heard the crash of the large front door as it was nearly taken off its hinges.

"Where is she?" Whereas I had tried to hide the anger in my voice as I accused Rebekah of ratting me out to her brother, I could hear the cold fury in Nik's voice as he screamed out for me. I threw her one last look of betrayal and saw the look of fear that crossed her features.

Bracing my shoulders and holding my head up high I made my way to the entrance hall. Nik stood there, his face red with anger and his hands balled into fists by his side.

"What the hell were you thinking? How many times have I told you that you're not to leave this house?"

I actually flinched at how loud his voice was. I opened my mouth to apologise to him. To explain that I did actually understand why what I did wasn't the smartest idea I've ever had.

I planned on saying all that and more, however I wasn't given the chance. Before the first syllable could pass my lips he was shouting again.

"I have told you it's not safe for you here. I have told you time and time again that until I have regained my rightful place as King of New Orleans, and Marcel lies grovelling for mercy at my feet that you will stay within these walls. Yet you do something as moronic as to walk straight into the heart of Marcel's territory. How can you be so idiotic? When I order you to do something...."

Nik's voice trailed off as the bottle of alcohol that I had been squeezing ever tighter in my grasp suddenly left my hand, flew past him and crashed into the wall exploding in a shower of glass and vodka.

He turned back to me with shock on his face. Not over the fact that I had done it, but more over the fact that I dared do it while he berated me.

I was slightly shocked at myself; I had not intended to do it. I had every intention of apologising. But to stand here, while he scolded me like a naughty child caught with her hand in the cookie jar. It was too much. He opened his mouth to speak again but this time I beat him to it.

"Don't you fucking dare! Don't you dare stand there and lecture me on what you have commanded me to do or not do. I am an adult and I am your partner. I am not your daughter, nor am I your ward in any way. You have no control over me as you are not my master. You expect me to stay locked up day after day, week after week while listening to screams of torture. All the while you are out partying with the very person you're supposed to be killing.

What do you expect of me, I have nothing here nor have I company. You with your partying and Rebekah with her stalking Marcel, the only person I had to keep me from going insane was Elijah and god only knows where he disappeared to. So yes, I went against your 'order' and left. But screaming at me isn't going to change anything as what's done is done."

I could almost see the blood boil beneath his skin as I kept talking, and apparently I wasn't done. Apparently my better sense was on holiday, because before he could reply to my outburst I mocked curtseyed, "Now if your majesty will excuse me, I have to go pick out an outfit for the party."

I stood and turned to leave but not without a parting message "All hail the fucking King!"

I walked past Rebekah who was staring at me with wide eyes filled with disbelief. I wasn't sure if it was over what I said to Nik or over what I said to Nik about her stalking Marcel. Either way I didn't care. I carried on past her and made my way to my room. Of course I didn't quite make it, as I reached out my hand to my door handle I suddenly found myself pinned to the wall looking into a pair of crazed eyes.

"You think you can speak to me like that and just walk away? You think there is nothing here for you but my dear older brother?"

That's when I realised what was making him angry. I saw the jealousy flash in his eyes. I felt myself getting angrier, how could he completely miss my point? Well, if he wanted to hear it then fine!

"In MysticFalls, when everything around me was going to hell you were always there for me. Hell, even when I told you I didn't want you, you were there, protecting me, saving me. But here? Here I've barely seen you in weeks, and I understand you have a lot on your plate but when you are here you barely say two words to me, so yes... your dear older brother was the one thing keeping me from leaving."

As soon as I spoke those last words I regretted them. I had only said that part in anger but I should have known better. I could shout, yell and curse Nik to his face, but to say if it weren't for Elijah I would have left. That was crossing the line and I knew it.

A whole new anger crept over Nik right in front of me.

"I didn't mean it like that Nik..." I tried to explain quickly, to make him understand that I would never willingly leave him. That I loved him more than anything but at times he just drove me crazy. But it was too late.

Nik lowered his head until our lips were almost touching.

"Well I'm sorry to tell you, but you'll never see Elijah again." He stepped back, putting some distance between us. I tried to reach out to him, to ask him what he meant but he kept stepping back.

"Where Elijah is he will never be able to take what belongs to me again." And with that I was left standing on my own, staring after him.

What had he done?