16. So Close...

www.facebook.com/JenniferBirdsBooks <----- Please like

************************************************

I had been in the hospital for almost a week now. Apparently the doctors couldn't figure out what exactly had caused the pain that had coursed through my body, or what was causing the unbelievably excruciating headaches I kept getting. I was mostly fine now, just a slight pain in the front of my mind.

My friends and parents visited whenever they could, and I loved them for it. However, I had to secretly admit that the visits I looked forward to the most, where the visits of Gerard. He visited me every day when the others were gone, and would stay until I fell asleep. I didn't know why, but I felt like I could tell this complete stranger anything.

We talked about everything. I told him about my family and friends, and he told me about his. Today was no different. Bonnie and Caroline had just left... which I was grateful for. I couldn't explain why, but lately something about Bonnie made me uncomfortable. Actually, I could explain why, it was the looks. Whenever she thought I wasn't looking at her, she would have this look of... of pure anger.

I was pulled from my thoughts by a knock on the door. I looked up and felt a large smile form on my lips as Gerard came in. He returned the smile as he sat in the chair next to my bed.

"How are you feeling today?" he asked, his voice full of concern.

"A lot better now that you're..." my lips snapped shut and I dropped my gaze to my hands which where folded on my lap. I felt the heat rise to my face, I couldn't believe I let that slip out.

I didn't see the smirk on his face as it was gone when I peeked at him. "So... you were telling me about your siblings. How many do you have?" I asked, quickly changing the subject. His face grew sad for the briefest of moments before he answered me.

"I have two, an older brother named Elijah, and a younger sister named Rebekah. You would love her; she is like you in a lot of ways." He sounded almost wistful.

"I always wanted a sister. I mean, Caroline is like a sister to me." I realised he wouldn't know who Caroline was, "She's a friend of mine," I explained, "and I love her, but I always wanted an actual sister."

As I spoke I tried to remember the first time I met Caroline, but it didn't make sense. When I thought about our first meeting as kids, I was protecting her from bullies. The problem was in that memory I was a couple of years older than her. How was that possible when we were the same age now?

Of course, before I could think about it any further, the headache started to grow again. I felt my breathing speed up and I squeezed my eyes shut. What the hell was happening to me? I was aware of my name being called but it was getting hard to focus. It wasn't until I felt someone take my hand that I could even remember that Gerard was in the room with me. He started rubbing the back of my hand with his thumb.

"Jennifer, look at me. Focus on my voice." I watched his lips move as he spoke. "Don't think about anything else but my voice."

I let my mind go black and almost immediately the pain started to subside again. Gerard had leaned close to me as he calmed me down and without thinking about what I was doing I flung my arms around his neck, pulling his even closer. I was grateful when, instead of pulling away, he put his own arms around me. "It's ok Jennifer, you'll be fine. I promise sweetheart." He whispered in my ear.

I pulled away from his, shock on my face and confusion on his. "What is it?" he asked. I searched his eyes and everything clicked into place.

"Nik? What's going on and where the hell is my baby?"