10. The Calm Before the Storm

www.facebook.com/JenniferBirdsBooks  <-------- Please like my page :D x <3

**************************************************************************

Nik fell asleep before I did. Sleep did not come easy for me as I lay there in the darkness watching him sleep. My mind wouldn't slow down. On one hand I hadn't felt this happy in months. I was where I belonged, next to Nik.

On the other hand, if I thought the witches would be any happier with Niklaus Mikaelson ruling the city they had fought to gain control over any more than they were with Marcel Gerard ruling it then I was a fool.

I put a hand over my stomach, just look at what they had been willing to do to get their way in the first place. Of course that had defiantly not gone the way they had planned. As for losing their elder by Nik's hand, they would more than likely want some kind of revenge. I vowed there and then, turning to look at my slumbering hybrid that they would not get it, even if I had to help in killing every last one of them.

Marcel was another thing. He might appear to have fallen in line with the new regime, but how long would that last before he wanted the throne once more for himself.

I should be celebrating my reunion with Nik but something deep inside me was warning me to prepare. A warning that the worst was yet to come.

Finally I gave up trying to fall asleep, my brain just wouldn't allow it. I quietly climbed out of the bed, got dressed and then made my way to the kitchen. It took me a while to find it in this large compound. I was going to have to go on a tour to familiarise myself with the building at some stage.

When I finally did find the kitchen I found Caroline sitting on a stool by the centre island. She looked up as I entered, a small knowing smile playing on her lips.

I sat beside her, "Care, I'm glad you're still up. I need to apologise for last night. Not for the vampire, but for the barman. I don't know what came over me." I reached over and grabbed her hand, "This is why I need you here. The others, as much as I love them, wouldn't have stopped me. Over the next few months I'm going to dance dangerously close to the line, I need you to make sure I don't actually cross it."

Caroline looked down at our intertwined hands for a moment before answering me. "Jennifer, I can't begin to understand what you're going through. I will stick to what I said back in Ireland. I will stay with you until your baby is born. That is the most I can promise you for now."

I knew I was being selfish in asking this of her, after all that had transpired between our groups back in Mystic Falls... the fighting, the deaths... all of it. But I needed someone who clung to their humanity as much as Caroline did. I leaned over and hugged her, "Thank you Care. It's more than I could hope for."

We pulled away from eachother, the knowing smile returning to her lips. "So you and Klaus..." she paused, "I mean Nik... I see you made up? Or should I say I heard you made up."

I felt the blush creep over my cheeks as I thought back to our little reunion earlier in the night. Before I could say anything to Caroline about it we were interrupted by Rebekah coming into the kitchen. She took one look at us and promptly turned to leave. I realised the mistake I had made concerning the original blonde. I looked at Caroline and she nodded, understanding. Throwing her a quick grateful smile I quickly followed after Rebekah.

She was halfway through the courtyard with no intention of stopping even when I called out her name. I used my speed to get in front of her and held my hands up in a stop motion. I knew what was wrong with her, I had made my peace with Elijah, and even Nik, whereas other than that first hug when I had returned I had made no further attempt to explain my absence to her.

There was also the fact that in the time I had come to know Rebekah, I very quickly came to know her insecurities. Me showing up with Caroline, after leaving New Orleans with so much as a goodbye, I could see it in Rebekah's eyes that she thought I no longer wanted or needed her. That I was using Caroline to replace her.

Nothing could be further than the truth.

She stood before me now, her arms folded defensively across her chest, her foot tapping impatiently on the floor. I didn't know how to word what I needed to say to her so I once again threw my arms around her. It was an awkward hug at first, what with her arms still folded between our bodies.

"I can't apologise enough 'Beks. You have no idea how much I missed you these past few months, how much I needed you. So many times I came so close to phoning you, but I always chickened out. I can only hope that one day you will forgive me."

Without saying anything her arms came out from between us and she hugged me back. When we pulled away she was smiling, mostly a good sign. It would have to be enough for now, I would just have to show her that I truly did appreciate her friendship.

She started to walk away and I turned to go back to Nik, but she called out to me. I looked back at her, she was still smiling. "I may forgive your absence, but don't for one minute think that I will accept her being here."

Then she was gone. I tried to hide my own smile, I knew it wouldn't be that easy but I could be a very persuasive person. I once again made my way to the stairs to go back to Nik when something made me look up. There he was, standing at the balcony that overlooked the courtyard, smiling down at me. Not taking my eyes of him I made my way up.

Wait a minute.

Something was wrong. At first it was a little niggling feeling. But in the next instant it was like a red hot poker was being jammed through my stomach. I felt a scream wrench its way out of my throat as I doubled over in pain. Nik was by my side in a heartbeat. I was vaguely aware that he was calling my name, I didn't even notice that Caroline, Rebekah and Elijah had also appeared out of nowhere. I looked up into Nik's worried face.

"The baby... oh god... the baby."