8. Unwelcome Welcome

www.facebook.com/JenniferBirdsBooks

*********************************************************************************

While we were going back to New Orleans, Elijah filled me in on what had happened in my absence. Apparently the day after I had left, Nik had abandoned all plans to slowly take over the quarter. He had just walked into the compound where Marcel had made his home, and openly challenged his former protégée.

Marcel had laughed him off, never a good start. All his night walkers, as well as inner circle had been present. Marcel truly thought that united, his followers would be able to take Nik.

How stupid could you be?

After a battle where Nik had killed more than half of Marcel's men, Marcel himself begged Nik to stop. Nik stopped killing the vampires only after Marcel knelt in front of him, declaring his loyalty to his sire.

Wasn't that good? Nik had his home back, isn't that what he wanted all along? I asked Elijah this, to which he just looked at me as if I said the most moronic thing ever.

"Despite what my brother has been trying to make himself believe, no that is not what he wants."

I felt my eyebrows raise in question, what did he mean by 'trying to make himself believe'? I wanted to ask Elijah more, but he would answer no more questions. He told me that it would be better to see for myself.

Of course, it didn't occur to me that he was purposely not telling me, for fear that I would not come back with him.

After a few days travelling, the familiar sights of New Orleans welcomed us home. I had to admit, I was like a schoolgirl. At the thought of seeing Nik again, my stomach filled with butterflies. We arrived at the compound where now the Mikaelson's once again had taken up residence. I walked through the large double doors, remembering the last time I had been here. The party, the night I had left.

There was a blonde blur and suddenly I was being embraced my Rebekah. After a moment she pulled away, tears in her eyes.

Then her expression changed, "How could you leave? Do you have any idea what you put us through?"

"I'm so sorry 'Beks..."

"Hush now, you're home, that's what is important." She cut my apology off before turning to her brother, "Have you told Nik..." she let the question trail off. Elijah shook his head, "No, I had to make sure that this lead paid off, and that she would choose to come with me."

I started to ask where Nik was when once again Rebekah cut me off, "What the hell is she doing here?"

I turned to see who she was referring to when I saw Caroline standing by the door, looking very uncomfortable. I quickly explained, "I begged her to come with me Rebekah," the warning was clear in my voice, "Caroline is a big part of my life, please respect that."

Rebekah flicked her hair and turned away from Caroline, ignoring her.

"Fine, just don't expect me to be nice."

It was the best I could hope for at the moment, I would work on helping them both see how alike they were later. Hopefully before then they wouldn't kill eachother.

"Am I interrupting?" All four of us looked up at the balcony overlooking the courtyard where we stood. Nik was standing there looking down at us. I started to smile up at him, I took a step forward... but I stopped moving, the smile frozen on my lips when I saw the look he wore.

He didn't look angry, or relieved. In fact he just looked bored. I opened my mouth to speak but I didn't get a chance as he looked past me to Elijah.