19. Home Again

We arrived back in New Orleans, and I was looking forward to putting this whole nightmare behind me. We decided to go straight home, when we reached the compound Elijah and Rebekah walked in ahead of us, Rebekah was laughing at something Elijah had said to her. They were followed by Caroline and Stefan, and I could see Stefan's eyes widen slightly as he took in the large compound. I was glad he had decided to join us.

I smiled at my family and started to enter the compound behind them with Nik by my side when suddenly I stopped. I immediately felt my expression turn to one of confusion. I hadn't stopped because I wanted to. I couldn't pass the doorway. Nik had gone forward a few steps when he realised I wasn't beside him anymore. He looked back at me standing in the doorway.

"What's wrong love?" He asked, "aren't you coming in?"

I tried to step forward again, but something was stopping me. I looked all around the door frame and tried one more time. The feeling of being held back was not like trying to enter a private home uninvited. It felt like something much more powerful, and then it hit me as clear as day. I don't know how I knew but I knew. The others had all turned back towards us as they realised something was wrong. I felt my hand rub my swollen stomach as I looked into Nik's eyes, disbelief in my voice. "I think the baby is stopping me from entering the compound."

"Welcome back Mikaelson's!" Marcel's voice filled the entrance way, as he came from within our home to greet us. I felt my baby stir, and my eyes were drawn to Marcel. Something was not right, I was about to speak when suddenly I had no problem stepping forward. I looked at my family as I entered the compound, coming to a stop beside Nik. 

Marcel stood before us all, a very confident smile on his face. "Marcel, I don't recall asking you to house sit for us." Nik's voice drawled as he put an arm around my shoulders, moving me slightly closer to his body. I knew him well enough to know, that although it looked like a very casual move, he was getting ready to protect me should the need arise.

Marcel's smile faltered for the briefest of moments, "I actually came here looking for you, when I discovered you had all left. Now I know it's been a while since you ran this town Klaus, but you actually have to be here to run it. Little tip from me to you... old friend."

I didn't like the look in Marcel's eyes, and I knew I wasn't the only one who thought this. I could see the wary tension on every face, except Rebekah of course. She had nothing but a large warm smile for her former love.

I moved away from Nik, and I could tell he wasn't happy. I stepped closer to his former protegee and gave him my best fake smile. "And why exactly are you looking for us? It must be of the upmost importance for you to think you can enter my home without my permission."

I had to hand it to, he never lost the smile. I could see the disdain in those eyes as they looked down on me. "I was looking for a lost witch actually. Sophie Deveraux... I don't suppose anyone here would happen to know where she is hiding these days?"

"Why are you looking for Miss Deveraux Marcel?" Elijah asked, "and why would you think she is here?"

"Well a little birdy did a locator spell for me, and it said she was here... although I cannot seem to find her." I couldn't ignore the movements of my baby as Marcel talked about his "little birdy", something was wrong... I also noticed he didn't answer Elijah's question about why he wanted Sophie in the first place, all I knew was that she was under Mikaelson protection for helping Nik save me.

"Well, if we come across her, we'll be sure to let her know that you are looking for her." I stepped to the side and held my arm out towards the door indicating he should leave. Finally his smile slipped, and with a small scowl on his face he left. Once he was gone I didn't move, "It's ok Sophie, you can come out now."