1. Rousseau's

As I stood by the window looking down over the crowds that filled the streets below me I sipped on my whiskey and tried to block out the screams coming from behind me, deep in the heart of my new home. As the screams intensified however I couldn't bear it any longer. I had to get out of here. I grabbed my bag and headed through the large house and made my way to the front door. Just as I reached it there was suddenly some-one standing in my way.

"Get out of my way Josh!" my face was expressionless as I spoke to him.

To give him credit he truly did look apologetic. I looked at the newbie vampire that was only here doing what he was told because of compulsion.

"I would love to Jennifer, I really would. But you know you're not allowed to leave the house. He'll kill me if I let you." Josh's eyes were pleading with me. I actually started to re-consider when another scream ripped through the house, strengthening my resolve.

"Let me! Josh the only two people who could ever tell me what to do were my parents and their both dead. So I'm going to make this easy for you..." Just as the last words left my lips I flashed forward and snapped Josh's neck, his body crumpling to the floor. I didn't enjoy doing it but he had a point and I didn't want him killed because of me.

I stepped over his body and walked out of the house. I walked around the quarter taking in the sights, something I should have done almost two months ago when we first arrived in New Orleans. I stopped outside a bar called 'Rousseau's'. Deep down I knew that this was defiantly the one bar I should avoid but I think that's what pushed me to open the door and step inside. I was tired of being a good little girl obeying every command thrown at me.

The place was packed, I worked my way through the crowd towards the bar and managed to get myself a stool. I was just sitting when the blonde woman working behind the bar came over to me. Her name tag read 'Cami' and as she smiled at me I felt the excitement of being in a new place finally start. I returned the smile with one of my own.

"Hello Cami, I'm Jennifer and I'm in a celebrating mood. How about a shot of tequila followed with a vodka and 7-up?"

"Well Jennifer it's nice to meet you. Let me get you those drinks."

A moment later she put my vodka in front of me, then put two shot glasses down and filled the both with tequila. I raised an eyebrow at her as she pushed one to me and lifted the other.

Hasn't anyone ever told you, you shouldn't celebrate alone." She explained, holding her shot glass up. Laughing I lifted my own and clinked it against hers. "Sláinte."  I said before we both downed the shots. She quickly bit into a slice of lemon before giving me a grimaced smile.

I laughed again, I liked Cami. Maybe I had already made a new friend. I cold defiantly use one who had no ties to all the crap that was going on in my life at the moment.

"Hey Cami, who's your friend?" a voice spoke behind me. I had gotten pretty good at sensing people approaching me since I turned and I hadn't realised that someone was standing so close to me. Cami spoke before I had a chance to turn. "This is Jennifer. Jennifer, this is Marcel."

My whole body froze. Without saying a word I lifted the bottle of tequila still sitting on the bar and poured myself another shot. I downed it then turned on the stool forcing a big smile as I held out my hand.

"Hi, nice to meet you." I said, my voice strong and steady.

As we shook hands I quickly looked him up and down. So this was Marcel. When I looked him in the eye again he was smiling and I realised he thought I was checking him out. Marcel lowered himself onto the stool next to me. "Can I get two whiskeys please Cami... and whatever Jennifer is having?"