06||Good ol' days

Changbin's POV

The world's a tangled mess, a constant tug-of-war with no clear winner. The poor yearn for riches, a life free from worry, while the wealthy crave the simple joys, the freedom from burdens. It's like the sun, desperately wanting to warm everyone, yet most find solace in the cool embrace of night.

Some chase connection, trading the comfort of solitude for the fleeting warmth of belonging. Others, once surrounded, find happiness only in quiet isolation, forced to shed the familiar for a sliver of peace. The lines blur, and purpose becomes an illusion. Is work a means to an end, or an end in itself? Does pleasure fuel our drive, or is it the reward at the journey's end?

The answers shift like desert sands, leaving you lost and questioning.

A deep loneliness seeps into your bones. You reach out, but your touch is met with emptiness. You yearn for understanding, but the world speaks a different language, a symphony of desires that clash and contradict. A heavyweight settles on your chest, a suffocating mix of sadness and confusion. Tears prick at your eyes, mirroring the rain that weeps for a world so beautiful, yet so terribly broken.

Life, a cruel joke even Newton's genius couldn't dissect. He, who mapped the heavens, must have stared at the human heart in bafflement.

"Changbin! Earth to Changbinnie, son!" My mom's voice, usually laced with warmth, had a sharper edge to it today.

I blinked, the peaceful dream world I'd inhabited for a stolen moment shattering like a dropped snow globe. My blurry vision cleared, revealing the familiar worn tablecloth and Mom's worried gaze.

"What did you say, Mom?" I asked, my voice hoarse.

Had I really been daydreaming? It felt like years since I'd allowed myself that small escape.

Or maybe it meant another doctor's appointment loomed.

She sighed, a soft sound like wind rustling through dry leaves. Her fork hovered above her half-eaten pancake. "I've been talking to you non-stop for the past twenty minutes," she said, a faint tremor in her voice betraying the disappointment clouding her eyes. "But you have that smile," she added, a ghost of a smile playing on her lips, "the one that takes you somewhere else."

My throat tightened. Guilt gnawed at me for ignoring her, the woman who held my world together with threadbare hope. But the feeling dulled, numbed by the constant ache that resided within me.

Not now, I thought, defiance igniting in my chest.

Not when the walls are closing in, and the air is thick with unspoken anxieties.

I shrugged, the movement jerky and small. My usual frown settled on my face as I pushed the food around my plate. "Just thinking," I mumbled, my voice flat.

A flicker of hope sparked in my mother's eyes, bright as a rogue diamond catching the morning sun. "Is it a woman, Changbin?" she breathed, her voice laced with a desperate yearning.

Here she was, the CEO of my love life company. It wasn't a title she ever asked for, but the loneliness that echoed in this house had thrust her into the role. A role where her main objective was to find a companion for her son, someone who could fill the deafening silence and the emptiness that clung to the walls.

A harsh sigh escaped my lips as I shook my head, the movement a stark contrast to the fragile hope blossoming on my mother's face. I couldn't bear to see the light dim again, yet the truth scraped against my throat like sandpaper. "No, Mom," I muttered, the word a heavy stone dropped into the well of her hope.