Chapter 19- Happy

beware- super short chapter because i typed the whole thing on my phone... But hey it's an early update so yay!
<><><><><><>

"Finnly, can you set the stuffing down on the table for me?" Kim asked.

I nodded, "Of course" I said, before placing the bowl of stuffing next to the turkey.

We had spent the entire morning cooking, meaning the women of the group. Max had offered to help, but once he had burned the pie crust for the pumpkin pie, we had shooed him out of the kitchen. And Colton? Well he was off doing who knows what.

My Dad walked into the Dining room carrying the sack of wood he had gone into town for, "Look what we got for s'mores tonight!" he sang cheerfully.

I laughed, "That's great" I said, "Did you get the chocolate and marshmallows?" I asked, as I weaved my way around the table, placing napkins at everyone's spot.

He face fell momentarily, "Oh darn, I knew I was forgetting something" he said.

Carol came into the room, carrying the cranberry sauce, "Don't worry about it" she said, "we have plenty of pies for dessert!"

My dad laughed , "Ok then" he said , "I'll just dump this wood outside, how about you get Colton, Finnly and then we can all sit down to eat?" he suggested.

"I don't know where Colton is" I said slowly, placing the last fork on the table.

"I saw him in the tree house" he said, before going outside.

I followed in his footsteps, and once outside I made a beeline for the tree house.

"Colton!" I shouted up at the tree, praying he would just come down so I wouldn't have to go up there and get him.

Had he really been up there all morning? A shot of anger surged through me as I thought about how hard the rest of us had worked to make Thanksgiving day dinner and he had just been sitting up there?!

I grit my teeth when he didn't respond and climbed up the rope ladder, seriously hoping it wouldn't break on me. The mashed potatoes were calling my name and I really couldn't let them down.

I squeezed through the door and stood up, my head nearly bumping the wood roof.

Colton was sitting on the far end of the room, earbuds in his ears, reading.

Colton was reading. I guess you could say that was a major turn on. My level of anger subsided a little and I crossed my arms letting out an exaggerated cough.

Colton looked up for his book, a surprised look on his face. He took out his earbuds and stood up, brushing himself off , "Sorry, I didn't see you there" he said.

"Clearly" I said, offering him a small smile, "Anyway, dinner is ready so you should come down"

I started toward the door again, but Colton stopped me, "Wait" he said.

I turned back around to face him, impatience crawling in. A big table full of fattening food was waiting for me, less than 15 feet away.

"I just wanted to say sorry" he said, scratching his neck , "I know I've been saying sorry a lot lately, but well yesterday I was a big dipwad to you" he said.

I nodded, "You were more of a dipwad to Max but thanks for your apology" I said.

Colton frowned, looking away from me , "Well yeah, but we've had a lot of problems in the past so I'm not trying to make excuses for how I acted, but there's a lot you don't know" he said.