Chapter 27 - The Real Romeo

"Dad I don't understand, why do you have to do this?" I asked crossing my arms.

I wasn't necessarily upset about it, I was just confused.

"Because I haven't talked to Max in awhile and I've never even met his father. I think it's necessary for me to have a few words with them before he takes you on a date" my dad said.

"But why can't you just called them? Why do they have to come over for dinner with the whole family?" I said, my voice tinged with a whine.

My dad had invited both Max and his dad over to have dinner, and like every other teenager, a dinner with my boyfriend and my  family wasn't exactly something I looked forward to.

"Oh please, it won't be that bad" he said, "We'll try not to embarrass you too much"

"No promises, though" Anna said, hopping down the stairs, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

I rolled my eyes, a small laugh escaping my lips, "You better promise! I wouldn't want to lose Max right after I got him!" I teased.

Anna shrugged,"Even if I did say something inappropriate, Max likes you too much to dump you" she said.

My dad patted my shoulder reassuringly, "It'll be fine. I promise everyone will behave themselves" he said smiling, "And remember when you were freaking out about Colton? It all worked out for the better, so just try to calm down and enjoy yourself tonight" he continued before leaving the room.

Anna laughed a little when he left, "My mom is super excited about this too. I wouldn't let her invite Evan over so I guess she's just excited to be involved in one of her daughter's love lives." Anna said.

'One of her daughters'

Did she really just say that? It didn't bother me as much as it would've awhile ago, but Kim and my dad weren't even married yet. We still had a couple months before I had to refer to Kim as my mom and she could refer to me as her daughter.

I had left the past behind but I still wasn't completely comfortable with having another mom.

"Anyway, besides the whole family getting together to meet Max, are you excited to see him tonight?" Anna asked, snapping me from my thoughts.

I nodded, a smile spreading across my face, "I'm so ready to see him" I said.

And I really was. Ever since New Years I couldn't think about anyone else and even though this unexpected dinner was popping up, it meant I could see him sooner.

"It seems like its been forever since I've last seen him" I said, "Texting really doesn't suffice"

Anna nodded, "Yeah, that sucks. Evan and I are really fortunate to go to the same school."

I nodded in response, letting out a small sigh.

True, it would've certainly been easier to date someone from my school. Dating Max would mean more work on both of our parts to hold the relationship together. But I was willing to put in the extra effort and I knew he was too.

"Anyway, I have a date with Evan so i'll talk to you later!" Anna said, hooking her purse on her arm, before running her fingers through her red curls, "And don't worry, I will be back in time to see Max!"

I shook my head laughing, "I have no doubt about it" I said.

Anna nodded in satisfaction before heading over to the garage where Kim should be waiting.

Maybe I could convince Evan to hold Anna until Max had gone home.

Then there'd be one less person that'd have to witness the incredibly awkward dinner.