Chapter 22- Fault

"Final exams have been killing me! I'm so close to just falling over and having a panic attack" Anna said, throwing her school books into her locker.

"At least tomorrow is our last day; I'm more than ready for winter break" Mia said, shifting her books to her other arm.

It was still slightly uncomfortable having Mia back in our group although we all had made amends. When we had told Evan she was coming back, he hadn't said much. It wasn't until later, when he had come to peace with it, had he actually said something to her.

And at times, it seemed like Mia was trying too hard to become his friend again. It was starting to annoy Anna, and now it was starting to get to me too. Partially because I knew nothing would ever be the same between Evan and Mia again. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't undo what she had done. And although Evan was a pretty understanding and forgiving person, I knew he couldn't just let that go like it had never happened. Who could, really?

"How about you, Finn?"

"What?" I asked.

"I was just asking if you were excited about break." Mia said.

I nodded, "Yeah, who isn't?" I asked.

"We should all do something!" Mia said, excitedly, "like maybe get together and go see a movie?" she suggested.

My mind flashed back to the last movie I had gone to with her and warning signs flashed in my brain. No, we would not be going to a movie.

"Anna, Evan, and I were already planning on going to Max's party" I said, trying to divert her attention away from the movie theater.

"Who's Max? Max Holliday? The kid that picks his nose?" Mia asked, wrinkling her nose up in disgust.

I rolled my eyes, "No, Max Leeman" I said, "he goes to Riverwood"

Mia nodded, realization hitting her, "His dad is the ex-pro football guy, right?" she asked.

I nodded, "Yeah" I said.

I felt bad for Max. It was probably tough for him to know that the majority of people wanted to go to his party just to meet his dad. If he was going to spend all that time inviting people and planning it, people should want to go because it was his party. Not because of his dad.

"I'll go then" Mia said, smiling excitedly, "and maybe this Max guy is hot" she said

I nodded, "Oh, he's absolutely gorgeous" I blurted out.

Anna's head whipped toward me and I looked down at the ground, kind of embarrassed.

"Oh well that's perfect then!" Mia said giddily, "since I'm newly single I can start getting out there again." she said.

I was kind of surprised she didn't ask how I knew him, but then reminded myself she probably didn't care. Even though she wasn't with Kyle anymore, she still lived in a world all about Mia.

I pursed my lips, "he's actually not single" I said, holding my head high, as if I knew what I was talking about.

Anna looked at me and cocked her head to the side, questionably.

I shrugged discretely. I guess I just didn't want Max to be looked at as someone Mia could grab now that she was free.

"Ugh, all the adorable ones aren't anyway" she huffed.

"Evan is still single!" Anna said, jumping up happily.

As if on cue, Evan walked up to where we stood by our lockers, "thank you, Anna for bringing it to my attention I'm single" he laughed, rolling his eyes.