23 - Phone

~Reader's POV~

It had been a week since the bar and I had kept to my word and apologised to the others for how I acted, they were apologetic too even Seve except he was still a little off with me but I knew he'd come around. Not much happened throughout the week just more training with the team and shared nights, I was on my phone a lot more particularly because I did decide to actually talk to who I'd met at the bar. I realised I had never got his name before he had left, when I'd messaged 2 days later I had introduced myself and he had introduced himself, he was called Cody. I quite liked the name.

Me and the Avengers were all currently sat huddled around in the living area, trying to pick a movie.

Messages:

Cody - Yeah well makes sense with how moody you get.

Y/n - I do not get moody at all, that's you Mr Pretty Boy.

Cody - I get the truth hurts, don't worry doesn't make me think any less of ya

I roll my eyes at his message, I really enjoyed talking to him lately it felt like a nice change of pace from well superheros.

"Y/n!!" I jump harshly at the chorus of voices and I look frantically around at everyone.

"What?" They all give me incredulous looks.

"We've been asking for your opinion for the past few minutes on this film." Wanda exclaims to me.

"Who are you talking to so much?"  Nat questions me with her interrogation so I switch my phone off feeling it vibrate as a new message came in.

"No one." Me and Nat stare at one another for a long while until the vibration in my pocket rings for longer, he was clearly calling me. Nat glances to my phone and without warning she launches herself at me and I grasp my phone as tight as possible.

"Give me your phone!" She was rolling on top of me as we played tug of war with my phone.

"Never!" The phone continued to vibrate and vibrate until eventually it stopped as Nat won over my phone I leap for her but she just shoved me back into the sofa as Clint and Sam help hold me there.

"Nat!" She's looking at my phone and at the messages clearly.

"Who's Cody?" All eyes were on me now and I shied away a little.

"He's no one, give me my phone." At this Wanda shoots up to glance over Natasha's shoulder.

"He's not no one, you've been talking pretty much every day since Thursday. A boyfriend?" I roll my eyes.

"No. Guys no, just a friend someone I met at the bar."

"Oh surprise surprise, not your old self my ass." I snarl at Bucky before my phone catches my attention, he was calling me again so I make my move and snatch it from the girls.

"Hey! You ca-" I shush them immediately and pick up the phone.

"Hey. Yeah sorry I dropped my phone." I say as I glare at Nat who just smirks at me.

"Uh no that sounds fine, 1 o'clock? Great, I am not going to be in a strop. You're never going to let that go, look I've got to go my brother is eyeing me down." I wasn't wrong he was looking at me confused and skeptical over who I was talking to and it was highly unsettling.

"Yeah, talk to you later. Bye." I pull the phone away from my ear and hang up, all eyes on my.

"You're all very unsettling." I sit back down on the couch placing my feet on the coffee table in front of me.

"What's happening 1 o'clock and when?"

"Oh come on Steve really?"

"Yes really, when my little sister is talking to a random guy I don't know and arranging something it'd be nice to know what's going on. It's for my piece of mind Y/n." I take a deep sigh but give in.

"He's called Cody, we met at the bar. He wasn't looking for any sort of relationship and neither was I we both judt went to the bar to drink alone miserably. So we decided to form a friendship and its rather nice thank you very much, it's refreshing to talk to someone normal for once. No offence guys. Anyway, he asked just now if I wanted to go to a shooting range with him and I said yeah, I wasn't going to turn down a free shooting practice."

"Not looking for a relationship my ass." I shake my head at Bucky.

"You're really liking that ohrase at the moment aren't you?" He judt nods with a smile to which I roll my eyes.

"Look, nothing is going to come from it. We both just wanted a change from our norms, let me have this. Please?" I look at Steve with my puppy eyes and face, he was thinking over it for a moment before eventually letting out a sigh and sagging his shoulders in defeat making me smile happily.

"I can't believe little Rogers has a secret boyfriend." I kick Tony in the back earning an 'ow' from him before I grab the popcorn from the table getting comfortable again and so does everyone else.

"Let's just watch the film now, come on." They all agree and we stick the film on I snuggle up to Steve as it begins, this was normal for us. The film they had chosen was Y/F/F (Your favourite film), I love this film so I didn't even mind one bit that it had been chosen. We watched most of the film some of us getting sleepy others weren't and only criticising the film, I felt something buzz and Steve leaned into his pocket so I moved for him to grab it and continued watching the film. Pretty quickly Steve got up and left the room right away, this brought a furrow to my eyebrows.

"Is he alright?"

"Someone should check on him." Me and Bucky both stand up.

"I'll go." We say at the same time.

"No Bucky you stay."

"Why the hell should I stay and you go?"

"Uh because I'm blood related to the man, please just let me go. He can talk to you after if he wants." He goes to argue with me but Wanda shushes us so he just gives in and let's me go. I leave the room and I check the stairwell first, I've caught him a few times in here before when something is wrong and I was right there he was lent against the wall head in his hands holding his phone.

"Steve, what's wrong?" He doesn't say anything to me and just holds his phone out to me, it was rare to see my brother cry so when I saw the message on his phone my heart dropped for him but also for me. She was amazing to have around, feisty and fiery. I didn't feel so alone having someone similar around me, and she had just passed but she was also the only woman including me in the 40s to lead a group of men. I walk over to Steve and give him a hug, we stand there for a while just holding one another. I was never not going to he there for my brother, he just lost someone that mattered so incredibly much to him. After a while I pull away and wipe the tears off of his cheeks, his eyes were swollen red.

"Steve, I'm sorry." He snuffles his nose and looks down at his feet, it felt like the good old days when I would have to look after Steve cause he was small. It brought a sad smile to my face.

"Will you go to the funeral with me, she requested in her will that the two of us carried her casket. She clicked with you Y/n." I hold in tears trying to be strong for my brother.

"Of course I will Steve." He nods.

"When will this be?" He sniffs and looks at his phone.

"Next Saturday."

"Alright, well why don't we go watch a film we haven't yet that the others recommended to us a while back with ice cream?" That finally brings out a smile on Steve's face.

"That sounds good." So we go and do just that it helped take our minds off of Peggy which is what I was aiming for with Steve.