24 - Lunch

~Reader's POV~

"Just please keep an eye out for Steve, he's vulnerable." I was about to head out to meet Cody for lunch, the others knee something was up with Steve but only Bucky knew why and Nat which is why I was asking her to keep an eye on him for me.

"He'll be fine Y/n, just go we'll take care of him. No doubt Bucky will be by his side." I grab my motorcycle keys and phone on the side before smiling at Nat.

"Thank you, alright I'll be back later. Call if there's an emergency." At that I take my leave on my motorcycle making it to the nice place he picked for lunch, where didn't matter to me as long as it served food. I walk in holding my helmet since I didn't want it to get stolen, I look around before seeing Cody in a booth so I make my way over and plonk myself down across from him.

"Look who finally showed up!" I roll my eyes at him.

"Hey, I had stuff going on with my brother. At least I showed up unlike many of your dates." He scowls at me, we'd talked enouh to know enouh about one another. A waitress walks over to us with a smile which we returned.

"What would you guys like?" Cody gestures for me to go first.

"Well, I'll have a bacon panini with a Tea please." She nods and jots everything down before appointing her attention to Cody.

"I'll just have a bacon bap and latte thanks." She finishes writing that down before heading off to get our order in.

"Guess we're both bacon fans." I nod at his words.

"So what happened with your brother?"

"Oh, he just lost someone that meant a lot to him." He gives me a look, it was different seeing him more human as opposed to who I met at the bar. The cheek was still there though.

"How do you feel about it?"

"We were close as well, but it's hit him more. It was a relationship he never got to have, they were almost perfect for one another. I loved her too, but things changed." Cody didn't and wouldn't know about me being Miss America or that my brother was Captain America at least not yet, I wanted to be treated like a normal person before hand at least.

"Sometimes these things happen, but he's got you so he'll be okay."

"Yeah thanks." He offers me a smile before the waitress comes over with our orders and places them down before us.

"Can I get you two anything else?" We each say no before digging in to our food.

"So, you got any siblings?" He shakes his head.

"Well, I did but our parents were into some dangerous stuff which resulted in well my little sister getting caught in the middle." I furrow my brows.

"Oh I'm sorry." He waves me off.

"Don't be, I've come to peace with it besides I know it was our parents fault anyway." I take another bite of my panini.

"Where are your parents now?"

"Dead. The three of them died that day, I did the smart thing and ran. That's when I chose to colour my hair this colour as to change my identity, including my name." I look at him with confusion.

"So you're not Cody?"

"Oh no I kept my first name I just changed my last name, it didn't feel right to change completely." I nod at his words, it made sense but wow what a childhood.

"You got any parents?" I shake my head.

"Our father died when we were very little I think Steve was 4 and I was new born (I have changed Steve's origin story a little instead of being born in 1918 at the end of WW1 I've made it so that he was born in 1914 at the start and your character was born in 1918 instead  but keep all the other details the same now back to the conversation). And our mother died when Steve was 18 and I 14, she died of tuberculosis but Steve took care of me."