Chapter 21: Sunset (Kelsi's POV)

It was an eventful weekend and ending on a double date with friends was exactly what I needed to brighten my spirits. The date was the first of many double dates with my favorite friends.

Scarlett and Orion being together is a bit unexpected but they deserve their happy ending as much as everybody else does. I didn't think I'd find love with Levi. It was something that was always there between us, but we never spoke about it. It crept up on me the more those eyes told me he wanted something more than friendship. I didn't know being more than friends was allowed. That pact between us was what kept us both arm's length apart from each other. It's all under the bridge now, and we can finally be our truest selves with each other.

"Are you okay, Kelsi?" Scarlett asks. She's helped me write my statement for the police. It tells the tale of what transpired over the weekend. It's not my fault I had to drop several feet from the ski lift. My parents are involved and are angrily pressing charges against Justin's family. I'm sure we will win our case.

"Yeah, I'm just nervous about this letter for the cops." Scarlett scans the document and hums occasionally to show her approval.

"It's going to be fine. You've expressed yourself in a very professional manner. I'm glad we were able to talk your parents out of suing Avalanche Acres. Their offer seems more than fair to me."

I take the document back from her and place it in an envelope. They told me I had to send it the old-school way. Does anyone even know how to use addresses and stamps anymore other than greedy companies wanting my parents to pay bills?

"Yeah, that's what my dad said as well. We are actually going to their sister resort this weekend with Levi. He doesn't know yet. I'm sure he'll be happy to come. We need the fun before the trial."

I wanted my parents to let the whole thing go. But that is not their style. They had to let this escalate to court. I understand they are on my side and have my best interest at heart. But this will end up in the papers, social media, and the evening news. It will be everywhere. It's social suicide and that's embarrassing in itself.

"He'll like that. I need to go. Orion has some big birthday things planned for his sister. Not sure what it is but he needs a woman's opinion."

She rolls her eyes as she makes her way out of my room. I get a call from Levi and meet him quickly outside in ten minutes. He's sitting in his car and he opens the side door. The country music we regularly nerd out to is blasting over the speakers. He bobs his head as he offers me a soda.

"Where are we going?" Levi smiles when I ask. He can't seem to hold his excitement in. He shakes his head and denies my question.

"You'll soon find out. Just get it." I obey and slam the door shut. The wind pushes my hair and sounds like a drone in my ears. The music vibrates the seat of the car as our drive continues.

We arrive at the top of a hill overlooking a sunset. Levi parks the car and goes to his trunk without talking. He gets out two folding chairs and sets them up. He signals for me to sit in one. I obey as a picnic meal is handed to me.

"Stand up for a minute." Levi sounds a bit nervous. But I can't blame him, he has something sneaky planned.

"Levi, what are you up to?" He hands me a small box. Is he asking me to...?

"Before you ask. This is not a marriage proposal. But it is a promise. It's a promise that I will always be your best friend. I will be there for you for as long as you need me. It's a promise that I want to be with you for as long as you'll have me. I think we are supposed to be together for a long time. But we are a bit too young to know for sure. I love you, Kelsi. I just wanted to remind you of that. But I always want to be your best friend first."

I put the ring on my finger and look at it. It has my birthstone encased in a golden heart in the band. He's outdone himself. I knew he loved me but this is more than I bargained for. It's more than I deserve.

"I love it, Levi. And I think you're right. I think we'll end up together too. I'll take that promise with me everywhere I go. I love you too, Levi Baron. I'm glad we are best friends first. Of course, we'll be together forever."

I slam my lips into Levi's and it tastes as good as I remember it tasting. Every kiss tastes as good as the first time. I remember the first time with every passing kiss. Every touch is as good as the one before it. I pull away and ask him a question in return.

"As you know my trial is next week. Before it happens my family is going to the sister Avalanche Acres resort. They wanted me to ask if you'd like to join?"

"That sounds great, Kelsi. Can I kiss you again?"

Before I can reply I put my tongue back in his mouth and let my best friend kiss me as the remaining sun sets behind us. The trial doesn't scare me anymore because I have Levi Baron forever. Together forever is all I ever wanted with my best friend. Since we don't know the future we will take the now, for now is all we have. We continue to kiss as the sky turns black and the owls sing their song.

The End.