Ch.9

Adam had never found the tree again. He tried several times, but whenever he stepped on the side of the hill, he lost the courage to meet the star's eyes.

So he ended up leaving there. Lucifer was quietly observing that.

Adam lost all of his memories of Lucifer. So he thought he had done everything, that he had done with Lucifer, all by himself. He thought he was able to swim, create or craft something, and climb steep rocks. He became overconfident as a result.

One day, Adam swam too far from the beach. Lucifer soared up from the tree and watched it.

Adam could make it before, but that's because Lucifer had been there and taught him how. It wasn't safe for him to do it alone.

Lucifer was concerned about him. But he couldn't expose himself to him. So he flew there and turned into the form of an octopus. Then he came up to Adam swimming and drew him to shallower water. Adam seemed startled at first, but Lucifer left before Adam saw him closely.

Those events happened a few times more. Whenever Adam wandered near a dangerous cliff or came up to vicious bears, Lucifer turned into a horse, bird, and snake and brought him to a safer place. And he always flew away before Adam tried to look at him closer. Even if Lucifer felt disgusted with himself, he found it gratifying to meet Adam like that.

...

The marriage of Adam and Lilith was not well. They could not be lovers or anything, but only enemies. Lilith despised Adam trying to control her.

"I'm getting sick of your whining, dickhead." The woman looked down at her husband.

"Why are you trying to get along with me? You don't even love me."

"Ha! Because that's what we're supposed to do!" Adam scowled at her, rubbing his waist where she had just given him a hard kick.

"Do you think I want this? You are my wife, and I'm your husband. You have to listen to me. That's our mission as humans!"

"Fuck you and Fuck your sense of mission," Lilith threatened. Adam grumbled, a bit intimidated. Adam shut his mouth until she left. Fuck. Adam groaned. That insane gangster.

She has to be mine, Adam thought to himself. I deserve to have her. I deserve to have everything in Eden. The world should be worshipping me. Because I'm the fucking man. I'm the most obedient slave of God.

The residue of removed memories had grown bigger and bigger. And it had perverted into a form of fury. It was impossible for Adam to love his wife. Because Lucifer had taught him what love is.

When heaven took Lucifer away from Adam, he lost how to love too.

...

Heaven attributed this failure of the marriage to Lilith. The angel elders didn't want to screw it up again. So they adopted that quickest and easiest fix once again.

They replaced her with a woman.

They created Eve.

It wasn't a big surprise for Lucifer as he knew about heaven too well. Adam was perplexed for a while, but adopted it soon.

But Lilith was shocked.

She had never felt betrayed like that much. When the rock of ages that she believed would be under her feet forever was gone, she felt like falling down into the darkness.

And she felt a violent anger.

But she didn't know what to do. She couldn't have a 'will' to rebel. That helplessness.