Ch.12

The night after the extermination day meeting in the castle in hell.

Lucifer burst out of his bathroom door, passing by the golden-framed vanity mirror and sophisticated decorations. He ran the bath tap and turned it to the hottest water, undressing himself as if he were going to be suffocated by the suits.

Then he crouched down in the empty bathtub, hugging his knees. Hot water kept hitting his head and face as he stared at it flowing to the plughole.

Lucifer wished the water could wash off all the memories. The memories of two men in Eden, but only one of them had been carrying for eternity. He had just met Adam for the first time in more than ten thousand years.

Up until this morning, he thought it would be okay. He had replayed the memories day after day like an old tape. He couldn't even be certain about what he remembered. Maybe they had been distorted enough to be called just his delusions.

Lucifer was okay by the moment he saw Adam in the meeting room. Adam was wearing the mask, but Lucifer could see through that a fool was glaring at him. The first man was in a large robe. Hmm, was he chubby like that? Not sure.

Lucifer was a little surprised at how Adam was still bad at hiding his emotions. Even without meeting his eyes, he could see the blame in the man's eyes. Stupid boy. Shouldn't he have been less transparent by now?

Adam was still Adam, too Adam, Lucifer thought with a blank look. The past and present started to mix up together. He was looking at the overlapped images for the whole time. He was okay so far, but a little inside, just slightly, he had to try not to feel something.

So when the bitter words came out from the man's mouth, Lucifer was rather glad. They would help to shut up his inner self who was happy to meet Adam again. It was easy for Lucifer to rile up Adam. He kept being indifferent and irritating.

Lucifer may have let his guard down.

'Have we met before?'

Lucifer startled as if he heard it again. The hot water felt like stings. His face was burning. He stretched out his hand and turned the tap to the coldest water. Now freezing water stabbed his face. His well-groomed hair was already messy. He hung his head down more. He felt like punishing himself.

Have I ever not been selfish just once? In the pours of ice water drops, Lucifer shivered at what he hadn't washed away yet for eons. He was cowering in the bathtub like that for hours until he could stop thinking about this.

If Sera hadn't cut in at the end, Lucifer wasn't certain what he would have answered.

...

Extermination was implemented. Under the contract, Lute made sure the exorcists didn't invade the castle.

The warriors were behind Adam. He looked excited. That was half right. He was thrilled and tense.

Since the meeting with Lucifer, he hadn't slept well. Adam had never felt this weird feeling before. The inner voice that he had heard in the conversation had grown day by day after he suspected it was memories. He couldn't stop thinking of Lucifer as if he were cursed or something.

That king is hiding something, Adam thought.

Adam had been guessing that it may be a clue to the question of his life. The endless void, loneliness inside, fury for no reason. He had been searching for the answer to this. But neither power he had seized nor entertainment in heaven had filled his emptiness.

I could find it out if I meet the hell's king again, Adam thought with confidence. He must have done something to me. Magic, curse, or whatever. I have to know what it is!