56 - Skaris's Rare privilege (1.80k words)

Skaris's POV (Part 1/2)

I was sitting in the shade of a tree, sharpening my claws against a coarse stone in my wolf form. The chill in the air here reminded me of the home I once knew ─ a place wrapped in relentless cold that was mirroring the isolation I felt inside.

While other males would have leaped at the opportunity for more stripes, I used to dread the thought. To most, three stripes would mean prestige and attention from their female, but to me, they promised nothing more than a life of confinement by my female's side.

Despite knowing I was capable of advancing, I used to suppress my powers just so I didn't have to confront her.

She was a beautiful fox, but what hid underneath her pretty facade was a cruel heart. She used her beauty to deceive, and her wiles to manipulate. She loved toying with other males, stringing them along, only to rip their hearts out when they fell.

There was a female wolf from the neighbor's village. She wasn't prettiest or cleverest, but she had a warm and a gentle nature. Like most males, I used to have a crush on her too, and tried to court her a few times without success.

When the fox found out about the wolf female's popularity, she made it her mission to ruin her. I still remember how she laughed as her new males, previously the wolf females' suitors, drowned the poor wolf female in the icy lake, out of fear of becoming rootless.

My anger flared, and the stone shattered under the pressure of my claws. I glanced down, noticing that the sharpness of my claws had improved.

Back then, I couldn't do anything about the fox's wicked ways. But now...

My lips curled into a dark smile, my wolfish fangs glistening, imagining the stone was the fox's heart, and my claws were plunging into her chest.

Oh, how I wanted to hear her scream, to see her beg for mercy. I would laugh at her, just like she did. I would break her the way she broke so many others, and watch her slowly wither away in pain.

The next time we meet, the tables will be turned. I promise.

As I dragged my black claw across another stone, a familiar scent drifted to my nostrils. I immediately sprang to my feet, changing into my human form and put on the blindfold I always keep by my side.

All my dear's males wore these roomy, tube-like trousers that allowed their tails to be free, and I was starting to feel more and more comfortable in them. It covered me up but didn't get in the way, even during my exercises.

"Welcome back, my dear," I said, keeping my voice even and my posture straight.

She stopped a few steps in front of me, "You've grown."

"I hope you find me more appealing now," I replied, tilting my head up slightly. My shoulders have become broader, and my body more toned.

"Not really," she responded, her tone indifferent, "You've always had the appeal. It's the growth spurt that I'm not so fond of. I don't like to crane my neck up when I speak to someone."

My lips quivered as I got on my knees, humbling myself before her, "Is this better, my Dear?"

"No," she declared, "I don't appreciate having to look down either." Effortlessly, she lifted my chin, coaxing me back to my feet. Her breath, subtly warm, brushed against my lips as she whispered authoritatively, "This is the position I prefer."

"I see," I breathed, resisting the urge to press my mouth against hers. The long separation only made the longing worse, and now, with her so close, it took all of my self-control to stay still, "I'm glad you're back," I managed to say.