Sansa IX

Sansa found herself faced with a daunting checklist before she departed from Queenscrown. At the top of it lay her most challenging endeavour: persuading Ygritte to embrace the art of reading and writing. There was no doubt the woman was clever and would pick it up, her obstinate nature presented a formidable obstacle. It was contradictory to witness her staunch belief in being a 'free woman' juxtaposed with her newfound role as Lady Greyjoy, a position that demanded literacy. Yet, Sansa harboured a glimmer of hope, fuelled by an idea that required the support of others.

Seated in her solar were both Tormund and Mance, each indulging in their preferred libation. Tormund, with sour goat milk coursing through his veins, might be more amenable to Sansa's proposal, or so she hoped. Mance had assumed responsibility for the basic role of governing Queenscrown, a role he embraced. Therefore, he preferred not to indulge in anything too strong. Their weakest cider would do for today, likewise for Sansa.

However, Sansa had not yet relinquished control, intending to pass the baton the following morning before her departure. But for now, her focus remained steadfast on Ygritte's education.

Taking the initiative, Sansa broached the subject. "I think Ygritte ought to learn to read and write," she said her tone was firm.

Mance nodded. "Aye, she'll need those skills."

"And why should Ygritte bother with such things, eh?" Tormund asked. "She's got better things to do than scribble on parchment," he added, with a hint of scepticism.

Sansa leaned forward. "Because it's essential for her role as a Lady. Her marriage to Theon means she will have to take on some duties to help him, running their household," she explained.

"What household?" Tormund asked.

"The one Jon gives them. Theon will have a powerful position and be granted a castle and lands to go with it. When he isn't there, it will be left to her to run it. Of course, she can leave it to her Maester, but if something goes wrong, it will be her responsibility to deal with it. And besides, it could be... enjoyable."

Tormund raised an eyebrow. "Enjoyable?" he asked.

Sansa smiled. "Yes, Tormund. Imagine being able to read all sorts of stories. Everything from children's tales to something for adults. Stories of love and adventure, forbidden knowledge hidden away in books."

"Har. Freefolk have got plenty of those already. Don't need no words on parchment for those," Tormund replied.

Sansa sighed, she was getting desperate, what would Tormund enjoy reading? "Alcoholic recipes?" she suggested, but Tormund shook his head. Sansa knew there were certain types of books, the ones the boys would read as children, especially Theon and Robb. From what Sansa understood, they were stories of an intimate nature. Gods, she wished Jon was here to explain this to him. "There are other types of books," she flushed pink.

Tormund looked intrigued and then grinned. "Well, now you've got my attention."

"Books that ladies shouldn't read, although I suspect some would," she blushed.

"Books about fucking?" Tormund, as ever straight to the point. Sansa nodded furiously.

Mance chuckled. "Lady Sansa has a point, Tormund. Knowledge is power. It wouldn't hurt to have some of the Freefolk learning their letters," his voice turned serious. "If more of the Freefolk could read, then it wouldn't have taken twenty years to band the Freefolk together. Probably closer to two."

Tormund stroked his bushy ginger beard thoughtfully. "Aye, maybe you're right. But why should I care about Ygritte's education? I'm not running the fucking castle with her."