Chapter Five

AWH LOOK AT LITTLE JAMES ON THE SIDE. I JUST WANT TO PINCH HIS CHEEKS AND RUFFLE HIS HAIR.

That's all.

***

When I wake up, the rest of the boys are still asleep even though it’s nearing five o’clock in the evening.

I fix my hair and walk home. I sit down on my bed and wonder when Danny will come over again to help me with the bass, because I liked that a lot.

And the hollow ache in my heart grows and I’m thinking about Joe and how he’d be angry if he knew how much I liked Danny.

And then I really, really want a drink.

I know I shouldn’t, but I ring Ben. His voice is groggy from sleep.

“What?”

“Can we go to that party you were talking about yesterday?” I ask, and Ben falls silent. I’ve never asked him to go to a party before; the guys usually have to drag me along.

“Yeah I suppose,” he says, finally. “I’ll wake the guys. I’m hungover as fuck but I guess a few drinks wouldn’t hurt. We’ll swing by in half an hour.”

“Thanks,” I say, and I hang up. I hurry downstairs and grab something to eat, and then I pick out my outfit. I choose a tight black corset top with dark skinny jeans and polka dotted white and black Vans, and I play up my makeup a little more and straighten my hair. I don’t even know whose party this is but I don’t care too much at the moment. I just need the hurting to go away.

The boys arrive when I’ve just finished my makeup. When Danny sees me he gives me a small smile.

“Becoming a party animal now, are we?” he asks with a grin.

“Mmhm. I love parties,” I say. It’s a pathetic attempt at a lie.

Danny raises an eyebrow but doesn’t question me.

“Well, well,” says James with a smirk. “Someone’s looking hot.”

“He’s already drunk,” says Cameron. “Don’t worry about him.”

We all pile into my car. Ben gives me directions and I drive to the party because the guys have all had a couple of drinks already. That’s usually how it is.

Ten minutes later we pull up in front of one of the biggest houses in the neighborhood. I have to park the car further down the block because of the amount of cars lining the street.

We file out of the car and walk to the house. I can hear pounding music from inside and there’s a lingering smell of pot near the doorway. Cameron knocks on the door and it swings open a minute later.

“Hey guys, come on in,” says a boy I think I recognize. He’s got straightened honey brown hair and deep brown eyes, and his lip is pierced on one side.

“Thanks, Sam,” says Ben, clapping him on the shoulder. “Now where’s the drinks?”

When we step inside I’m greeted with the smell of cigarette smoke and weed. I wrinkle my nose.

“Sam, this is Azalea,” says Danny, and Sam smiles at me. Danny grabs my hand and leads me in the direction Ben went in; I smile in relief when I see the drink table.

I crack a beer and Danny wanders off on his own. He doesn’t really like crowds until he’s drunk.

I walk back into the living room. There are probably forty people in this room alone; I don’t want to know how many more are upstairs or in the other rooms.

I’ve never been too social, so I kind of wander around for a bit and check out the house. When I finish my beer, I go and get another one. I’m already starting to feel numb. I do a few shots with some randoms and have two more beers, and when those are gone I drink two more. After a while, I lose track of how many I’ve had.

I’ve never been this drunk before. I feel really weird. It’s kind of hard to stand up right now and I’ve already fallen once. That wasn’t my fault, though, because I swear someone pushed me. I can’t really remember, though. I think I might’ve knocked over a chair, too, but I can’t really remember that, either. I really want to talk to people but I can’t quite focus on anything right now. It’s all blurry and I don’t feel very well. Someone offered me a brownie, too. He was so nice…

Now I’m sitting on the balcony because I’m really starting to feel bad, but I’m really happy at the same time. I’m the only one up here but that’s good because now I really don’t want to talk to anyone at all. I close my eyes because the stars are spinning too much, but then I open them again because they’re just so beautiful. I hold onto the railing and lower myself down so that I’m lying on the floor of the balcony. I spread out my arms and legs and stare at the sky.

I don’t know how much time passes but someone comes onto the balcony. I look up; it’s blurry but I think I might recognize them. They smell like alcohol and I suppose I must, too.

“Azalea, is that you?”

And then I start to laugh, because my name is just hilarious.

“A-za-lea,” I say. I like the shape of the syllables in my mouth. I let out a deep sigh.

“Come on, Az, let’s stand up now,” says the person. When they help me up, I feel very dizzy and I think I almost throw up.

“I’m hungry,” I say.

“I know,” says the person.

The person brings me back inside and sits me down on a bed in one of the rooms. My eyes start to focus.

I giggle. “Danny.”

Danny laughs. “You ate the brownies didn’t you?” he slurs.

I nod. “They were so good. Did you have one?”

“No, but I just had like seven beers. Maybe it was eight, I don’t fucking know,” says Danny, and I think he grins.

Danny sits beside me on the bed. My eyes struggle to focus on his face.

“Have you ever seen those people that are really attractive and they know they are? That’s what you are,” I say, and I giggle. I like Danny. I put my hand on his chest and kiss him. I pull away and grin.

And then Danny pushes me onto the bed and starts to kiss my neck, and all I can do is laugh because it kind of tickles. His face moves up to mine and our lips meet again. Danny nibbles on the corners of my cheeks and I bite his lip because Joe used to like it when I did that.

And then there’s kisses and there’s bare skin and I haven’t really registered what’s going on but I know I’ve done it before. It happens fast and then we’re panting and then I’m falling asleep in Danny’s arms.