Chapter Fifteen

I sink down onto the couch and Elias is about to join me when Danny bursts back inside.

“Get the fuck out here,” he says. “Right. Now.”

Startled by his tone, I leave Elias and follow Danny.

When I step into the wings, Danny gestures at me to look around the curtains. When I do, I realize the place is packed.

They’re sold out.

“Oh my God,” I breathe, and Danny’s fingers lock with mine. It’s a small venue, but we’ve never had this many people.

“I’ll admit it, he’s good for us,” says Danny, referring to Elias.

I feign a gasp and look up at him. “Danny Worsnop, did you just admit that I was right?”

The corners of Danny’s mouth twitch. “That’s for you to decide.” He cups my chin gently with his fingertips and presses his lips to my own, and then he follows the boys onstage.

I walk back into the lounge area and throw myself at Elias.

“It means so much to them,” I say. I don’t release my grip on him.

“I’m glad,” he says softly.

***

ELIAS’ POV

I’m grateful for the friendship but I can’t stand the pity.

I know she tries not to show it, but she can’t really cover it up. If she hadn’t seen the situation with my dad, the scars on my wrists… I know she wouldn’t be making such an effort.

But I can’t bring myself to hold it against her because nobody has ever really made an effort like that. Sure, I’ve got friends, but they don’t talk about my personal life. I used to like that, but I’m not so sure if I should be brushing my situation aside anymore. Azalea has been encouraging me to stand up to my dad. She offered to come over with the guys to back me up but I don’t think it would make much of a difference. They would only end up getting in trouble, and that’s not something I want to do to them. I’m going to confront him, though; it’s just a matter of choosing the right time.

I’m confused about Azalea, too. She told me that her and Danny are together but something seems wrong. When Danny looks at her it seems like he actually might love her, but when Az looks at him, I can tell it’s more complicated for her. I don’t want to talk to her about it, though. It’s really none of my business. I just hope she sorts things out before something happens that she can’t deal with.

***

AZALEA'S POV

Two days go by, then three, then four, still without a sign from Joe.

He can’t have forgotten about me. He can’t have. Not after we were a part of each other’s lives for so long.

I’m being ridiculous. Of course he hasn’t forgotten about me. He’d never be able to, just like I’d never be able to forget him.

He must’ve caught wind by now that Danny and I are together.

But why wouldn’t he have called? What could possibly have made him okay with the fact that I’m with someone new?

I can’t wrap my head around it. Most of all I just want to know that he still thinks about me, that maybe I cross his mind a few times a day, that maybe he can’t get me out of his head either…

Elias has been hanging out with us lots for the past few days. The guys have really taken to him, especially Danny and Cameron. There’s hardly a moment he’s not with us. Ben has started teaching him a bit of guitar and Sam has fun accompanying them on his bass. James has taught him a few beats and he seems to be a natural on the drums.