Chapter Nine

When the lady asks to see my ticket I give it to her. I hand her my passport and she checks to make sure it’s really me, and then she waves me on.

I join the rest of the boys and we walk down the detachable ramp or hallway or whatever the hell it is (if you can’t tell, this is my first time on a plane). My legs are shaking and my mouth is dry. The only thing keeping me grounded is the gentle pressure of Danny’s hand against my lower back.

We reach the end of the hall and I can see a stewardess standing in the doorway of the plane we’re about to board. Danny pulls me to him, kisses me on the cheek and walks ahead of me. He steps into the plane and hands his ticket to the stewardess, and she gives him directions to his seat.

The rest of the boys go ahead of me. I’m almost too scared to step onto the plane, but Danny appears and takes my hand. The stewardess smiles kindly at us.

“First time?” she asks.

I nod. “Yes,” I squeak.

“Don’t worry about a thing,” she says. “Here’s a tip: when the plane is taking off and landing, you should chew some gum if you’ve got some. It’ll help prevent your ears from popping. That should be about the only discomfort you’ll feel on the flight. If there’s something wrong or if you need anything, press the button on your armrest and someone will come help you out.”

I smile at her, only a little bit relieved. “Thanks,” I say.

“Don’t worry about it,” she says. “Your seat is five rows down on the right side, next to the window. Enjoy your flight!”

I run a shaky hand through my bangs as Danny leads me down to our seats.

“You’re sitting next to me,” he says. “We’re lucky we’re not in the next row back; if we were we’d be forced to see Sam and Ben jerking off to their magazines.”

I stifle a giggle and the butterflies in my stomach disappear for a split-second. Danny beckons for me to slide into the seat next to the window, and he sits down in the seat beside me.

There are lots of people on this plane but it’s surprisingly quiet, probably due to the fact that it’s four-thirty in the morning now and they’ve all gone back to sleep.

My pulse quickens as the captain announces the weather conditions and what to do when the seatbelt sign is on. I don’t listen to much of what he is saying because Danny has fallen asleep with his head on my shoulder and his hand on my leg. I wish he was awake. My stomach is tied in knots.

The captain stops speaking and we start to move.

I clench my fists. As the plane rolls down the smooth runway I realize that I can’t go back now.

What the fuck have I gotten myself into?

I bury my face in the hair at the top of Danny’s sleeping head and the tears start to fall.