CHAPTER 25: ALONE

The air was cold and the streets of Seoul were empty. Two signs that Christmas had arrived.

Everyone was surrounded by family and friends celebrating the joyous holiday.

Christmas eve was quiet for Jennie and her mom. They spent the morning catching up and updating eachother on what they've missed.

Lisa spent a good chunk of her day on the phone with her mother getting an earful when she found out Lisa wasn't going home this year either. That phone call was reason enough to validate her decision of not going to Thailand.

Once she was finally free she joined her hosts and watched Christmas movies for the rest of the evening.

Jennie and Lisa drank a little, ate a bunch of yummy korean treats and called it a night early.

The next day, Lisa was the first to wake up. For some reason whenever she drinks wine, she always wakes up super dehydrated.

She takes a seat at the kitchen table and drinks some water.

The two younger girls hadn't talked more about that first lesson.

Lisa had low expectations going into this but Jennie blew them out the water. She was serious when she said Jennie wouldn't need many lessons, she was a fast learner.

"Lessons"

Lisa was starting to not like the sound of that.

It felt too transactional.

She needed to do something about that.

Jennie's mom appeared in the kitchen and Lisa greeted her immediately.

"Good morning Miss Kim," Lisa bowed her head.

"Hey sweetie, Jennie's still asleep?" she asked out of breath. She seemed to be in a rush.

"Yeah she is."

"She's going to hate me. There was an emergency at the office. They needed me there an hour ago," she grabbed her keys and faced Lisa, "I'm leaving some money for food. Will you please tell her I'm sorry and Merry Christmas?"

"Sure yeah, I'll tell her. Will you be home later? Should we wait to open gifts?" Lisa asked cautiously.

She wanted to give Jennie some good news.

"I would love to say yes but I'm just not sure," the older woman looked sad, "Let's hope I do."

With that she smiled and walked out the door.

How was she going to break the news to Jennie?

Lisa enters the room again and sees that the older girl is still asleep. It was seven in the morning so it's still too early to wake her.

Lisa wanted to delay delivering the news as much as possible.

She laid back on the bed careful not to wake up the sleeping girl.

"She got called in, didn't she?" Jennie broke the silence, keeping her back towards Lisa.

"Yeah she did," Lisa cringed at her words, "she said there was an emergency at the office, so she left—"

"—money for food. Yeah I got it," Jennie sighed and turned around, "you know I haven't had a Christmas dinner with her in five years. I don't know why I thought this year would be different."

"Hey this year is different," Lisa replied scooting closer to Jennie, the need to comfort her overpowering Lisa.

"How?" Jennie turned to her side.