Chapter 2- Birthday

HELLO AGAIN,OF YOU HAVE READ THIS STORY BEFORE, YOU WILL NOTICE THAT SOME CHAPTERS HAVE BEEN EDITED.

ENJOY

PROLOGUE part two

- - -

Zoey's POV (July 4, 1996) - age eight -

"Happy birthday dear Zoey, happy birthday to you!" Mum sings as she comes into my room. I sit up in bed to face the breakfast and presents she has in her possession.

I understand that mum can't afford a lot, but no kid should ever not feel excited on their birthday.

"Here, sweetheart!" She says, handing me the first gift. I take off the wrapping to find a woven leather bracelet.

It's beads are red, white and blue and I stare at them as they shine in the natural light streaming in through the window.

"Oh, mum," I say, "It's beautiful!" I give her a big hug as she goes to tie it around my wrist.

I stop her and take the bracelet in my hands, tying it around my ankle.

"That way it will be safe." I explain.

Mum smiles, holding out a bracelet identical to mine, but with pink, yellow and purple beads. She ties it around her ankle and puts her feet near mine, examining our bracelets.

"I got you the Captain America colours." She says, talking about my beads as she hands me the next gift.

I take the soft wrapped object from her and lightly tear it open. A sleeve flops out and I take the whole shirt out of the wrapping paper.

I hold a shirt sleeved T-shirt with a symbol on it. The symbol is a red white and blue circle with a white star in the middle.

It's Captain America's shield.

"Oh my God! I can't believe you bought this for me!" I say gratefully. I hug her tightly whilst she laughs.

"Relax, Zoeybird, it's just a shirt." She says happily.

"No, it's more than just a shirt." I say, "It's a Captain America shirt. You have no idea what this means to me." I slip on the shirt and hug my stomach as my mother laughs at my behaviour.

"Well, this is your last present, and by far the best!" She says, getting out of my bed and walking into the hallway. She comes back in moments later, wheeling a large gift wrapped box in my red wagon.

I get out of bed and walk over the the box, running my hand along its shape; smooth and large.

"Go on then, open it!" Mum laughs encouragingly.

I take a deep breathe and tear off the first part of wrapping paper. The box shaped object has a smooth wooden covering.

I still have no idea what it is, though.

I strip away the rest off the paper and stand there, shocked. I stare at it for ages, my mouth open like a goldfish.

"Do you like it?" Mum asks happily, "I got it in a jumble sale and got it fixed up." 

I don't respond as she starts taking all the wrapping paper to the bin.

"I'll take that as a yes then, shall I?" She laughs at my face.

I gently waft back into reality and have the decency to nod. Then, in a surge of adrenaline I start crying.

"Mum this is the greatest thing you've ever given me!" I weep, and fling myself into her arms.

"I'd do anything for you." She whiseprs, making me sob.

My mum holds me until I calm down. She then pushes me into the direction of my wardrobe.