Chapter 20- To Die, Would Be An Awfully Big Adventure

SO...

HERE WE ARE AGAIN.

ARE YOU READY?

..I'M NOT.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No one's POV

Steve runs through the hellicarrier, like his life depends on it.

Because it does.

Steve loves Zoey more than anything. She introduced him to this strange new world. She helped him better understand the new ways. She encouraged him to open up and not stay so guarded. She helped him find someone to care about..

She helped him move on from Peggy.

So Steve knows that he wouldn't be able to handle it if Zoey died.

The other guys look at each other confused once Steve runs past them, not giving any answers. They all nod at each other, before Nat joins them and they all follow him to the infirmary.

When they burst through the door, they find Steve standing off to the side, tears running down his face.

He's watching Bruce perform emergency CPR.

And it's not working.

"Shit." Clint mutters, leaning against the wall of the infirmary.

Tony goes to her side, kneeling on the cold floor next to her face. He strokes her hair as his 'sister' gets her chest thumped to re-start her heart.

Thor and Clint go stand at the foot of the bed, watching in pain as their friend is on her death bed.

Natasha, who is still standing in the doorway, lightly takes Steve's hand and leads him to the other side of Zoey's bed.

Her drops to his knees, kneeling over her face as Nat helps Bruce and the nurses try to save Zoey.

"Hey Zo." Steve whispers into her hair, "I really miss you. Please, please could you open your eyes. Please just open your eyes, and look at me."

He stares in sadness at Zoey's pale face, her eyes still closed. The room is in chaos, trying to revive Zoey, but Steve feels like he's in his own world.

Just him and Zoey.

The love of his life.

Because in that moment, nothing else mattered.

Tony's POV

Just seeing Steve in that state frightened me.

He was begging her to wake up, hoping that she would.

As if he thought she wouldn't.

And that was a scary thing to think about.

The room -including Steve- goes quiet as Bruce's CPR slows down.

"Bruce!" Natasha says, "Why are you stopping?!"

"It's not working." he says sadly, finally coming to a complete stop.

"No!" everyone protests together, tears edged in our voices.

Steve just puts his hand on Zoey's cheek, tears falling into her hair.

"I love you." he says in a wobbly voice.

"Now what?" Clint asks, his words thick with worry.

"We wait for her heart to stop, or we wait for it to restart." Bruce says tiredly, "Both of which can take a few hours."