Chapter 13- Confess

Steve's POV

Tony and I sit at the table in the conference room, silent. I look at all the empty seats, not able to be filled because of the attack.

Banner, fell of the helicarrier.

Barton, in a private room trying to recover from the spell Loki put him under.

Romanoff, helping Barton.

Stark. Somehow that guy managed to get through unscathed.

Thor, somewhere below us after Loki dropped the cell.

Myself.

Zoey, my Zoey, unconcious in the infirmary, where I'm not allowed to see her.

They say she needs to rest and not be disturbed, as her powers have completely exhausted her. 

She saved so many lives today, and I hope she knows that.

She could have just done her job, but she wanted to help everyone, so she did.

She saved everyone she could, so I hope she knows just how important she is to everybody.

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket." Fury says, walking up to the table. He chucks Coulson's Captain America trading cards onto the table, splattered with blood.

"I guess he never did get you to sign them."

My head bows with guilt as Director Fury continues.

"We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, location on the cube, It's all gone." he announces, "Banner, Thor, Coulson."

Fury takes a deep breath and turns to face us both.

"Yes, we were going to use the Tesseract to create weapons, but I never bet on that one. I was hoping for- and Stark knows this- an idea." he informs me.

"It was called The Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become something more. To see if they could be there when we needed them to, to fight the battles we never could." he explains and I look out the window.

"Phil Coulson died, still believing in that theory."

"There are still some people trying here." Starks says, looking out the window, "Myself, Capsicle over here, Rebird."

"Mr Stark, we are all trying." Fury sighs, "We all can help save the world, but we can't seem to do it together."

At that moment, Agent Hill rushes into the room.

"She's awake!" she yells, confusing us all.

"Who?"

"Zoey! She's awake!" She says and Stark and I run out of the room, sprinting down the hallway to the infirmary.

Once we reach the door, Stark doesn't hesitate to barge in, but I hang back.

What if she doesn't want to see me?

That's what she said last time I saw her.

She hates me. She doesn't ever want to see me again. She told me that.

I sigh and walk away from the door, back down the corridor to my room.  

I'll respect her wishes.

Because I care about her 

A lot.

~ ~ ~ 

Zoey's POV

I'm sitting on the edge of the bed in the infirmary, trying to stand up after being knocked out.