Chapter 21- Remember

SUPER MEGA IMPORTANT STUFF IN AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END. PLEASE READ, THANKS GUYS.

- - - - - - 

Zoey's (sorta) POV

Falling. All I can feel is falling.

That feeling when your stomach drops, making you want to be sick, but only lasting for a moment.

Except now I can't shake it off.

I can't move.

I can only fall.

Thinking hurts, just like moving or speaking.

My thoughts jumble up, mixing together like a pack of cards until I can't decipher one from another, everything just blurry and incoherent.

I want to question about where I am, or what has happened.

But I can't.

People think that when you're unconscious everything is black.

But they're wrong.

Everything is nothing. Everything has no colour, or shape.

I don't know where I am.

I can't escape, I can't wake up.

I can only fall.

Clint's POV

We all sit around the conference table, no one knowing what to say, or wanting to.

Steve hasn't emerged from the infirmary yet, and a grim silence lays upon us.

Making a scraping sound, everyone turns to watch Nat scoot her chair closer to mine, then lay her head on my chest.

I'm shocked, Nat never gets this close to anyone.

But considering the circumstances, she really does need a shoulder to cry on.

We all do.

"Steve." Fury says and we all turn to look.

"I- I-" He stutters, not being able to get the words out. his face is pale with exhaustion and shock.

Thor and Tony stand up and walk over to him, taking an arm each.

"Come on Captain," Tony says softly, "Let's get you to bed, its almost dawn."

"We should all go." Fury speaks up, earning a murmur of agreement from everyone.

Slowly, we all get up and help a distraught and confused Steve to his room, before everyone goes to their own.

"Clint.." Nat's small voice calls out as I'm opening my door.

"Yeah?" I ask softly, resting my hand on her arm.

"Can I, can I stay with you tonight?" she asks, "I don't think I can be alone after what's happened.."

"Uh, sure." I say, letting in through the door whilst I pause in confusion.

Nat has never looked so vulnerable before.

Now I'm starting to think that maybe she's been like this the whole time..

When I walk in Nat is half asleep, but she's still all bloody from the war.

I gently guide her to the bathroom, turning on the shower and giving her a towel.

I go get her some clothes from her own room and put them by the door before waiting for her.

When she comes out I switch, until we're both lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling.