Chapter 3- Sightings and a War Hero

LAST PART OF THE PROLOGUE.

(October 22, 2000) 

PROLOGUE part three

- - -

ZOEY'S POV - age thirteen -

I walk down the road, scared out of my mind. I grab Mum's hand tightly as she strolls along the footpath in her usual carefree  manner.

"Mum, do I really have to do this?" I whine, my heart race speeding up in fear when I see the building appear at the end of the road.

Mum just laughs at me.

"Zoeybird, it's time you start having a proper education and make some new friends." She tells me matter-of-factly.

I stare at her in horror.

How could she think that? I don't need these people.

I'm freaking out at the moment, and if I have a panic attack I'm blaming her.

"But I already have a good education, and I don't need friends if I have you." I say coyly, trying to persuade her with compliments.

She suddenly stops, turns to me and bends down to my eye level.

"Sweetheart, you know I love you?" She asks and I nod slowly in response.

"Then I hope you'll trust me when I say you need to start getting to know other people, so you have better people skills when you're older. I don't want you to be alone." She says.

"But mum, what if they don't like me." I whisper quietly, looking at the ground.

Mum pulls me in for a hug and holds me tight.

"Oh Zoeybird, they're going to love you." She says, a catch in her throat.

"You promise?" I ask, almost begging, like a four year old.

Mum smiles lovingly at me and straightens up.

"I promise."

I smile up at her before my eye catches a figure in the distance.

He looks familiar.

My body goes rigid as I recognise the figure.

"Mum." I say, not looking away from the man.

Mum notices my behaviour and follows my eyesight. Her face darkens as she notices who it is.

"Stay here" she says, before crossing the deserted street and walking the thirty feet towards him.

I can hear them clearly, due to the silence of everything else.

"I thought I told you to stay away." My mum says angrily.

"I've come to make you an offer." The man says.

"No." Mum says firmly.

"You haven't even heard it." He tells he..

"The answer is, was and always will be, no." Mum says icily. She starts turning around but stops when he speaks again.

"We need you to come back. And we could need her, as well."

Mum turns back towards him angrily and shouts right in his face.

"Do you seriously think I'd ever want to go back to that Godforsaken place? That I'd want to go through hell, being reminded of him everyday? Do youu think I'd let her go trough the same fate as he did?" She asks feriociously.

I  walk up to them.

"Ahem" I say. Mum tries to push me behind her but I step around her. I look at the man and quickly pull him down by his coat until he is level with my height.