Chapter 5- New worlds, New faces

SAY HELLO TO STEVE, EVERYBOODY.

ENJOY.

- - -

Steve's POV ( June 1, 2012) - age twenty six -

I punch the punching bag as hard as I can, rethinking my whole life.

My whole crappy life.

I've lost all my friends, family, everyone I knew.

Even Peggy.

I punch the bag even harder than before, getting more aggressive the more I remember.

*FLASHBACK*

"I have to put it in the water!" I say into the microphone.

I killed Red Skull, I thought it would be over, but the plane I'm on is going down.

It's about to crash into a populated area.

People could die.

"Oh." Was all Peggy said, listening in on the other line.

"Peggy, I'm gonna have to get a rain check on that date." I say weakly.

"OK, next week at the Stork Club. Don't be late." She says, her voice wobbling as she struggles to keep it under control.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." I whisper, seeing the dark blue ocean come towards me.

I smile as feel the tears pooling in my eye.

"Steve, I always wanted to tell you, I-" Peggy's voice cuts off as the plane crashes into the icy water.

This is it.

I'm dead.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

But I didn't die.

I was frozen, a super solider, thought to be lost forever.

Until my good friend, Howard Stark found me again.

Seventy years later.

I woke up, and they told me Howard, Peggy and everything I knew, was gone.

I punch the bag with all my might, using my strength to break it off its chains.

I sails across the gym before landing with a crash on the far wall.

I catch my breath, looking at it, defeated.

No matter how upset I am, I'm stuck.

Nothing will bring my old life back.

I sigh and walk over to a line of more punching bags, on the ground and waiting for me to use them.

I grab the nearest one and hang it on the hook.

I begin punching it once again.

"Trouble sleeping?" A voice comes from the doorway.

I glance up and notice a man in a black trench coat.

I turn back to the bag and continue punching.

"I've been asleep for seventy years, sir, I think I've had my fair share." I say.

"Then you should be out celebrating; seeing the world." He says, coming towards me.

"When I went under, we were at war. When I woke up, they say we won." I stand up straight and look properly at the man.

"They didn't say what we lost."

The man sighs, looking away from me and our the window.

"I'd be one of the first to admit we've made some mistakes along the way, some very recently." He says, admiring the birds in the sky.