Day 7 - Drones? What drones?: 4/7

"That's a tree- yes, I know it's a different tree than before. I don't know which exact tree that grows in this biome it is- ohthankholesit'sthem," 387 spots several zebras surrounding a changeling, all chilling on the beach.

Curious about what drew 387's attention, Smiley stops darting from one thing to another and pointing at random objects using the tablet hanging on a string around its neck. To 387's surprise, the Silent's eyes light up when it notices 1313's group, and it bolts ahead.

"There goes the careful approach," hisses 387 and runs after Smiley.

Of course, neither of the duo goes unnoticed by the group, and 387 finds himself intercepted by two zebra bodyguards while Smiley is let through where it immediately pounces at Zamira and clamps all four legs around her chest and neck.

"Well hello, little guy!" the zebra smiles, patting its head, "Smiley, was it?"

"Yep," confirms 1313, standing up and joining the two bodyguards engaged in a face-off with 387, "Is this a social visit, 387?"

387 bows before 1313, which only puts the two flanking zebras even more on edge.

"Only partially, baron," replies 387 politely, "However, I'm not here on any hive business if that's what bothers you."

"Obviously," 1313 frowns before taking a deep breath and saying, "Zaida, Zara, at ease, please," he beckons 387 to sit down with him in the shade of a beach umbrella. The zebras let them pass, but 387 can't help noticing that one sits down in his blind spot and the other by 1313's side.

Professionals. One is ready to get 1313 away in case of trouble and the other to get me from the back. Still, a significantly better start than with 'Ten'.

Smiley darts to them, pointing one by one at the zebras with its tablet reading [JAM->].

"What's this about?" 1313 pats Smiley's head with a confused smirk.

"It turns out that Gem has been radically successful in awakening Smiley's brain power. On one hole, its progress is unbelievable. On the other, I've been dealing with this since morning," explains 387, tapping the Silent's side, "No, they're not Gem. They're zebras... striped ponies."

Smiley wipes its tablet and remains watching the black slate for a while.

"Honey, you know how I said earlier I was thinking I might want to adopt one?" Zamira sits by 1313's side in a way which 387 immediately recognizes as body blocking his access to 1313.

Even his wife or whatever she is is his bodyguard, and apparently a good one.

"Yes?" 1313 looks at her.

"Now I know I want one!" she pulls Smiley into a hug. Surprised at its sudden wriggling and resistance, she lets go immediately. Once Smiley grabs the tablet still lying in the sand and hangs it around its neck again, it returns and curls up between Zamira's forelegs.

387 smiles.

That's a downright creepy smile, but damn if I can sense anything other than love from her.

"I can arrange that," says the warrior, "We don't hatch that many new drones these days, mostly due to the improving survival rate, but I can persuade the Queen to let one live with you."

"Zamira has a soft spot for grateful creatures who've gone through Tartarus," 1313 takes a jab at his wife.

"Well, you would know," she immediately shoots back.

"Yeah," admits 1313 with a smile.

"It wouldn't be difficult to find a drone who suffered an injury which puts it in more danger in the tunnels than others," clarifies 387, "When I said 'improving survival rate', I didn't mean that the hive started planning a retirement fund."